Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a cherry tomato in the store called cherub. I can't find cherub seed in any catalog I have & haven't had any luck looking online either. Any idea where I can get seed?
Thanks!

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It's a Dutch hybrid and the seed only available in commercial quantities. However, most of that type usually return close to their parents. Buy the tomatoes and save some seeds from one of them. Just spread them out on a piece of paper. When time to plant, scrape off how many you want to start.

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's a Dutch hybrid and the seed only available in commercial quantities. However, most of that type usually return close to their parents. Buy the tomatoes and save some seeds from one of them. Just spread them out on a piece of paper. When time to plant, scrape off how many you want to start.

Martin
Will a hybrid seed grow? I am new to gardening.

blessings,
jd

·
Registered
268 Posts
What if any would the differences be? The ones we get at Sam's are delicious. :)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Differences will depend upon how simple or complicated the parents are. Examples are Santa F1 and Sungold F1. Santa F2 will come back almost 95% true to Santa F1. The odd 5% will be square or blocky rather than round. Sungold F2 may be yellow or red, round, blocky, or elongated, and rounded or pointed blossom end. Red and yellow may even be on the same vine which in turn may be 2' tall or sprawl 10'. In other words, it took an awful lot combined genes to come up with it.

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
ah,, thank you Sir. I may try to plant some and see how it goes.

blessings,

jd

·
Registered
268 Posts
While on the subject of growing, I posted this in another thread: what can I plant nearby to deter squash bugs? I got some good squash last year, but then the bugs came and wiped out every single plant in about 4 days. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even see them until the plans were covered.

blessings,
jd

·
Registered
2 Posts
While on the subject of growing, I posted this in another thread: what can I plant nearby to deter squash bugs? I got some good squash last year, but then the bugs came and wiped out every single plant in about 4 days. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even see them until the plans were covered.

blessings,
jd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts