cherry trees in pasture

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by gwithrow, Jul 27, 2006.

1. gwithrow

gwithrow Well-Known Member

we are fencing our new pasture area, about 7 acres, and all was going well til we realized there are patches of cherry tree sprouts maybe a hundred of them coming up....about waist high now,..our cows need this area badly, and what are we to do?...today we went and cut many of them at the ground level..then painted the little 'stumps' with brush killer....the cut saplings are in the back of the truck...of course there were stray leaves that fell in the process....now what ?? how long should we wait til we put cows out there? there also are a couple of big cherry trees in the wooded area that we have been advised to take out in the winter...just leave be for now.?...I suppose we are more concerned about the leaves that fell in the process and will now wilt....how long til they are harmless? I didn't think we should bush hog the whole area for fear that we would just have tons of wilting leaves all over the pasture...there is no way to fence these trees out of the pasture...any advice??? thanks

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The dead and wilting leaves are worse than the fresh green leaves. Also the small dead branches are toxic. As long as the cows aren't grazing in the woods then the cherries there shouldn't be a problem unless the prevailing winds blow them into the pasture.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fill the cows up on pasture else where and turn them onto the fresh leaves, not the wilted ones. With a gut full of grass, the fresh leaves will not cause a problem. My cattle eat the leaves frequently but I do not permit access to wilted leaves.