Cherry Tree Owners - what type??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pasotami, Dec 14, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

My DH just LOVES cherry pies and I really like a big handfull of dark sweet cherries so I want to plant several of both sour and sweet cherries. What kind do you all feel is best. I sit right on the line between zones 6a and 6b. The upper eastern point of TN.

2. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    If I were going to plant cherries, I'd go to Raintree Nursery in WA for mine. Here is the web link. http://raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=CHER

Here's why. They have the most advanced dwarfing rootstocks. This means your cherry trees won't be 40 feet tall, and they will bloom a lot sooner, in a few years, rather than 10 or more. And the newer rootstocks are better than the old ones. You don't want full-size cherry trees, as the birds will get all your fruit and you'll have to use ladders to pick them.

Here's another reason. They have complete information; a complete bloom/pollination chart, if you click on the link right below the introductory paragraph at the top of the cherry page.

You want to pick later-blooming varieties, since you are in a colder zone for cherries (zones 5-9). With the chart you can compare and pick several where the bloom overlaps, and is later. You don't want a hard frost to kill your blossoms. If you pick an early blooming variety you may never get any fruit.

I hope this helps.

Lezlie

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Before you buy the tree get the bird netting as I guarantee the birds know two days before you that the cherries are ready!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen deer and squirrels eating them,too. DEE

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i would choose firm fleshed varieties for pies.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Montmorency is the best for growing around here (Zone 5). Hardy, fruitful, dwarf, and perfect for pies!

As for sweet cherries, my favorite is Rainier. We do have one of those, but it grew all over the place and became quite leggy. (In my defense, it was in poor shape when we got here.) We're trying to prune it, see if we can get it to a manageable size and get it fruiting again.

Pony!

6. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter