Cherry Pit Pillows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Well, after pitting 20 pounds of cherries yesterday (and planning to get more -- I LOVE tart cherries), I have a lot of cherry pits. And I've heard/read that you can use them for pillows/warmers, much like buckwheat hulls or rice.

But how do I get prepare the pits? I have them soaking right now so I can get the flesh off them, but I want to make sure that I don't wind up with fruit flies hovering around my head.

Thanks for any info,
    Pony!

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I am sooo jealous...I love cherries too. The tart ones are hte ones that are really good for you!!!! :goodjob:

3. Pony

Well, thank you!

Why are you jealous? No orchards where you are? :(

I have a Rainier cherry tree in my suburban yard, but it drops fruit like crazy before it even ripens. They are tasty when they make it, but as pie or wine cherries, they're just insipid.

Where are you located, Sullen?

Pony!

4. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

I've also heard that you can cut the plastic soda straws (like the ones from fast food places) into segments, and stuff a pillow with them. Of course, this pillow could not be put in the microwave, like those pillows filled with dry rice which are used as heating pads. It would be a great use for all those nice, clean straws -- I always seem to have too many.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Is there a large ant hill nearby that you could make use of? If so, put the pits in a bucket and set it right next to the ant hill for a few days.

Did you know that people used to put their clothes on ant hills overnite to have the ants remove the lice in the clothes? :eek:

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cyngbaeld, I've heard of ants in your pants, but I never knew that's how they got there.
    I'd be a little leary of fire ants in your skivies.

7. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I pitted 20 lbs of tart cherries this past weekend too! We had enough of our own cherries to make a batch of cherry crisp, and the rest came from an orchard. We made Cherry Bounce with most (a very tasty cherry liqueur) and I also made a batch of cherry jam which was so good I wished that I had made more than just 6 jars.

The pits went into the compost as they did last year (didn't think to make a "pillow" out of 'em). This spring I noticed a bunch of cherry seedlings springing up all over the garden and at the time I thought it was from bing cherries I bought at the store. After seeing all the pits from the tart cherries this year it dawned on me that the seedlings are probably from the tart cherries I pitted last year. I saved 2 of the seedlings to plant; I know that fruit trees need to be grafted to produce fruit but we also love cherry trees for the trees themselves.

8. palani

palani Well-Known Member

9. Pony

UNCLE WILL!!!

How are you??

Pony!

10. Pony

Interesting ideas...

Ants for fleas? I'll have to share that with my Renaissance re-enacting friends. LOL!!

Jane in SW-WI, by chance, did you get your cherries at Kickapoo Orchards? That's where we got ours. We had the dog along, and it was hot, so we didn't pick our own. It was still cheaper than purchasing them at the grocery store!

That Cherry Bounce sounds good. I like to make Cherry Wine: it's my favorite home made wine, as long as I'm patient while it's fermenting. Is the recipe for Cherry Bounce posted here somewhere? (And if not, would you be so kind?)

Pony!

11. Pony

12. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Pony, I found this article that tells you how to clean the cherry pits.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1983_January_February/Make_a_CherryStone_Bed_Warmer_

I had to do a number of searches to find it and, during one of them, I found a site that mentioned using them to sleep on, unheated, for relieving sore necks (like the buckwheat pillows). Problem is, I can't remember which site it was and I didn't save a link. Sorry.

Another thing I saw on many of the sites, was to put this pillow into a cover, instead of using it alone. I'm not sure if this was to keep it clean, since it is washable, but must be air dried, then sunned, or if it was to prevent burns, if you heat it. These can be heated for warm relief or placed in the freezer for cool relief.

13. Pony

Gayle, THANK YOU so MUCH! You must have been dreaming of cherry pits all night after all that research...

I do appreciate it. Now I am off to boil those pits!

Pony!

14. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

Pony - yes we got the cherries from Kickapoo Orchards. My husband picked them in the morning.

The Bounce recipe we use came from Kickapoo Orchards. They were handing them out last year, I don't know if they had any this year. We modify the recipe by using about a cup of granulated sugar instead of cubes and we leave the spice out of some. We also pitted the cherries; the recipe doesn't tell you to do that. It makes a nice Christmas gift.

CHERRY BOUNCE AND VARIATIONS:

Original Recipe:
    1 quart fresh sweet or tart cherries
    1/2 lb. sugar cubes
    1 Tbsp. whole allspice
    1 Tbsp. whole cloves
    2 - 3 sticks cinnamon
    1 pint whiskey

Wash cherries and pick off stems. Fill a large-mouth jar or bottle with a thick layer of cherries, a layer of sugar, and a few whole spices. Repeat until bottle is almost full. Add whiskey to fill. Cork and let stand in a dark place for two months or more. The longer it ages, the better it is. Strain before serving as a liqueur. Serve the cherries as hors d'oeuvres.

Variation: Use red tart cherries and add more sugar, and also add 1 tsp. of pure almond extract. You can also use grain alcohol.

15. getoverit

getoverit Member

I just want you all to know - my mouth is watering reading these posts. I absolutely love cherries - but no orchards around here - I just paid $5.99 for 1 pound of cherries from the store - and they weren't even juicey....

Please forgive me - but a pillow out of the pits? Do you stuff the pillow with the pits?