Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping you can help me to identify a couple of trees I found. One is on my property, and I think it's a cherry tree:

This other one I think might be a nut tree, and it lives down by the creek, on some rocky terrain:

THANKS!

Tracey Mouse

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the second one looks like the "spice bush" i have in my back yard. this is the first year i have seen the fruit from it, but the leaves and fruit look identical.

the first one resembles some type of crab apple or hawthorn tree. are the fruits hard or soft? do they have a single pit or do they have several seeds like other pome fruits...apples and pears?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one has a single pit, but at this point I can't get it out - it's not freed up - kind of like a mango. The interior is golden colored.

What's a spice bush? Can you use the fruit for anything? There's tons of those down by the creek.

Tracey Mouse

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the first one is probably some type of cherry, but it could be another member of that family, wild plums, sand cherries etc. small fruit could mean poor irrigation and such.

the spice bush is an ornamental. it is found in the wild. it was an "old timey" schrub that was planted around homesteads. it has a woody flower in th espring that is reddish brown in color. i am not aware of any uses for this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I realize that Oregon is a long ways from Kansas, but at this time of year, something looking like that fruit and those leaves, would be wild plum, which does only have a pit and not multiple seeds. Cherries generally bloom in early spring and have ripened and been gone since June here except for the small wild ones. Just my take on what I'm seeing. I have no suggestion for the other one because I've never seen it.
~Lisa~

·
Island of Blueb
1,007 Posts
lsulenes said:
I realize that Oregon is a long ways from Kansas, but at this time of year, something looking like that fruit and those leaves, would be wild plum, which does only have a pit and not multiple seeds. Cherries generally bloom in early spring and have ripened and been gone since June here except for the small wild ones. Just my take on what I'm seeing. I have no suggestion for the other one because I've never seen it.
~Lisa~
I was going to say wild plum! We visited friends in Medford, and the wife took me out and around their property and showed me the different trees with the red and yellow wild plums. She said she always picks them and makes jam and things. I got to taste the fresh ones, heavenly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts