Cheney, Ashcroft & Runtsfeld: 50"long, 50"girth

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by snoozy, Jan 22, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Our hogs are measuring 50" length and 50" heart girth: What do you say? Time to slaughter?

And is that normal -- to have the length and girth equal like that? They don't look either pudgy or scrawny. Gives a whole new meaning to "HWP", doesn't it? :haha:

2. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Put your crap on general chat so I can ignore it.

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Mike, that was rude. You are one of the reasons I rarely visit THIS forum.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

she is talking about pigs why dont you read before you make a comment and i would do them now i think its time

5. snoozy

Geez, Mike -- get a sense of humour! People name their pigs all kinds of names. People on this forum have named their pigs "Slick Willie", etc, but it's not for me to take offence. I think it's funny!

Anyway, I called the mobile slaughterer and signed up my hogs for ASAP. Quite a backlog, so it may be a few weeks yet. Seems to be quite a call for mobile slaughtering. There's a country job opportunity for someone.

But I still would like to know if the HWP thing is about average -- what are some "normal" length/girth ratios?

6. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

My post was really due to snoozy's political "views" and how she drags them into almost every post. She wasn't really trying to see if it were time to process them ... it was a jab at the current admin. I quit (as you can see from my posts) visiting the general chat room.

Some people really upset me so I figure rather than argue I'd quit visiting the "political" forum. Here she is again posting here. Again, real questions/comments about pigs ... I wouldn't have a problem with it/her. We will never know the true motivation here but I think it's obviously a political jab especially if she has raised pigs before.

7. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

By my calculations, that makes your pig about 312 Lbs. I usually slaughter at about 200-220 Lbs.

8. snoozy

Actually, Mike, this IS my first time raising pigs.

Snuffy, we did want to raise them to 275-300 because the last farm pork we bought was slaughtered at 230 and was too lean. One breeder I spoke with said that you can raise modern hogs to 300 without them getting too fat, though the feed conversion is not as good towards the later stages. I'm kind of surprised at the estimated weight because they don't seem that big to me -- maybe they just look smaller because they're sinking in the mud. When I'd see market weight hogs at the county fair, they always seemed pretty big to me. Or maybe I'm just used to my hogs.

9. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

You know I have been reading here for a long time and posting for a little while.... and the only thing political in ths thread is your post Mike. This is not gen. chat where you all spew your crap, this is a pig forum.

If you couldn't have answered the question you could have just, well, shut the hell up. Who cares about the names of her pigs?

Snoozy - I use 48 X 48 as a rule for mine.

Here's a rather efficient way of obtaining your pig's weight. This is best done at feed time, however a pig's head needs to be up to get the best measurement.

1 - Measure the pigs heart girth (HG) right behind the front legs.

2 - Measure between the ears to the base of the tail (L).

3 - Multiply the heart girth measurement (HG) times itself, then multiply that times the length measurement (L).

4 - Now, divide that sum by 400. This is your approximate live weight.

The Formula is HG X HG X L/ 400 = WEIGHT

If the pig is under 150 lbs. add seven pounds. If the pig is over 400 lbs. subtract 10 lbs for every 25 lbs.

That gives me a weight of 276 +/-. If you use the 4H HG method you get 282. I like a few extra pounds in them hams.

10. snoozy

How is the 4H HG method different from the HGxHGxL/400 formula?

11. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

4H method just uses Heart Girth (HG) and makes no use of Length. I have found that the long method is closer, sometimes to the pound, than the 4H method.

12. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Don't have any pigs yet, but have been reading up on them - one book suggested that the larger sized hogs convert fiber and roots like turnips and such better than smaller 'market sized' hogs.

Any thoughts?

13. snoozy

I don't know. This is my first time with pigs and I didn't even think they were as big as they apparently are. Perhaps someone with more experience and who has done a more scientific job of it than we did ( :rolleyes: ) can comment...

14. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

My most unscientific method of determining whether a hog is market ready is by the back height of the animal. If top of the hog's backline is about 3 inches below the front pocket on my jeans then it should be in the 240 lb range. That is the measure I used when I was raising around 1500 hogs a year.

Btw, I am 6'0" and wear a 32 inch inseam jeans. I won't mention what my waist measurement is.... :eek:

15. snoozy

Mulefoot -- that surely is unscientific! :haha: :haha: I'll remember that method for next time, because I wear 32 inseam jeans, too -- though I'm ony 5'7".

Golly, you must have a neck 5" longer than mine..... :eek:

:haha: :haha:

16. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

My girl won't go to slaughter as I hope to get her bred sometime soon and then looking at options for slaughter. However she's a beautiful 17 month old Yorkshire who measures 59" from center of ears to the base of her tail and her heart girth is just at 60". Close to the "HWP" deal that Snoozy has, but MUCH bigger. The GXGXL/400 formula lands her at about 631 lbs, though I could probably subtract a few from the total based on what Green_Alien has posted. She's a whole lot of love that pig!

17. snoozy

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

18. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

This is the first time anyone ever accused me of having a giraffe like neck....

OK, so I have long arms and short legs and like bananas... I try not to beat my chest too much, at least when company's around....

Just a hunch but I feel that this thread is starting to get off topic.... :confused:

:D

19. snoozy

Well, the butcher came by today and slaughtered them. He looked at them upon arrival and estimated them to be 240--275, live weight. When he got them back to the shop and weighed them, they were 190 and 212 -- hanging weight.

I KNOW I measured them accurately, so if by the tape they were 312 live weight, what is the normal loss/reduction after removing the skin and cleaning the carcass?

The two bigger ones had an inch of back fat, the runt had 3/4 inch.

I knew they didn't look like 300 lbs to me.

20. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

Dressing percentages for hogs are generally around 75% so that would mean that your hogs were about 253 and 282 respectively for live weight.