Checkout Garden Catalog Companies First

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Steve, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

I wish I knew a month ago what I know today. Back in January, I ordered over $300 worth of nursery and garden plants from mail order companies such as Burgess Seed, Gurney's, and Henry Fields without checking them out first. Today, after a frustrating phone call with Burgess over my $186 order, I stumble across this website GardenWatchdog.com.

On Garden Watchdog, gardeners can rate and comment on their experiences with all the gardening mail order companies. Unfortunately, it seems that I sent my money to the worst of the worst. Now, I'm praying that I won't become one of those folks that will end up leaving negative feedback. I just can't hardly believe some of the bad experiences people have had with them. It's worth your time to take a look. I'm wishing I had.

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Sorry for your troubles Steve. We have had whole threads about Burgess here so your news is not particularly new. :no: Ver frustrating, especially when now you are more in to the prime time and it will take a while to get it. :(

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I think the best thing one can do when ordering from any catalog company is not to make a high dollar purchase on the first order. Make a small one first and if you liked the service then make a larger one.

Garden Watchdog is a good service, but it's not always going to tell the whole story. If you find a company with a lot of feedback (Tyty would be an example) you can get a good feel for what they're like to deal with. But a company with only a few reports doesn't tell you much. Even the best companies are going to have at least a few unsatisfied customers and the worst companies will have at least one or two satisfied customers. Only the people who both feel strongly one way or the other and who happen to come across services such as Garden Watchdog are going to leave any feedback.

.....Alan.

4. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

if you paid by check, have it stopped. if you paid by cc, put in a claim. when i am purchising on line i always use the credit card, because the cc company can help you on claims.

i have had great luck with gurneys and henry fields the last two years. great prices, good trees. good customer service. several of the trees were replaced no questions asked.

but any of those companies in bloomington, il are not worth a crap. there are four or five different ones in that group. my mom lost money from them last year.

randy