Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,022 Posts
Do you check it when the 3pts up or down??
On my tractor (old ferguson 35) the three point cylinder only holds about a pint of fluid.... out of about seven gallons in the tranny so I dont really worry about it. You wouldnt notice a difference on the stick one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ive cleaned out the 2 valves in it twice to get it running. It runs, does around 3 or so bales then wont raise up. I thought it might be los on trans even tho it is just right when the 3pt is down.

·
Premium Member
41,022 Posts
Well ive cleaned out the 2 valves in it twice to get it running. It runs, does around 3 or so bales then wont raise up. I thought it might be los on trans even tho it is just right when the 3pt is down.
It sounds more like a problem with either your control valve, or you may have an internal leak going on. When the fluid is cold everything works fine, but after a few bales and the fluid gets hot and thins out.... you lose pressure to operate the cylinder. What color is your tractor?

·
Premium Member
41,022 Posts
Ill swap it next hay season. Have to give it away now. lol. Likely cant afford a JD
seriously you need to get hold of a pressure gauge and find out if/where you are losing pressure. If your dipstick shows full even with the lift up your system should function properly. On my fergusons there is a side plate that I can remove (the dipstick runs through it) and watch whats going on inside. When the system is running right the oil will be relatively smooth on top. If there is a leak somewhere you can see it plainly if its above the oil, or if its leaking below the oil you can see the oil swirling as soon as you engage the pump. :)

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went out and picked up a doz bales without the slightest problem. I think its me in setting/adjusting the lift mech.

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beets, what is draft control exactly. I have a hard time finding nutria on it. At a point in lowering it, I can stop it at a certain point but it tries to rise slowly.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What tractor do you have again? On older tractors there was a screw on the 3pt that you turned that worked the draft control. On newer ones (70's and up) there's a lever somewhere around the seat at the operators station. usually says "light" and "heavy"

Draft control is important for maintaining equipment level behind you, or allowing it to ride up/down based upon the terrain, depth of plowing etc. If you have it set way to one side, you will see the 3pt rise/lower on its own sometimes.

Now, on my JD 2440, its got some sort of wackadoo auto sensing feature, you can still adjust using the screw (under/side of the seat), but i just leave it set to auto and go along as that tractor doesn't do any plow work.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Okay, I have no knowledge at all about the David Brown line of tractors. That lever sounds right, but you're going to have to talk to someone else who knows more about them or as suggested find an owners manual online to purchase.

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Im getting rid of it for next hay season. PTOs shot, so Im not going to buy anything else for it. Its 40hp, and that's too small for a 4X5 bailer, so shes got to go. Got a great engine, and a unusual to me but solid trans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts