checking for babies - -

Discussion in 'Goats' started by happyladybug, Apr 19, 2006.

1. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

has anyone tried using a stethescope to check for baby goat heartbeats???
    i have a stethescope but have trouble getting my goats to stand still.. i bought one at the sales barn - that i'm pretty sure is pregnant.. but not definite..

is it rumen on the left and baby goat on the right???

thanks...

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yes, rumen on the left, baby on the right. I was considering this too, after a friend of mine said that she used a stethoscope to count heartbeats of puppies in her preggo mini poodle. I was thinking, it would be easier to count the heartbeats of baby goats b/c there are fewer and larger hearts. Try restraining your does in a milking stand. Dont' have one? build one in a couple hours... www.fiascofarm.com look for the milkstand plans.

3. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....I have never heard of doing this. I don't think it would work very well because of the goat's loud intestinal tract...they have a lot more going on in there than a dog usually does. "Bumping" would probably be more accurate. Push your fist into the goat's right flank....you can sometimes feel the kids that way. With some goats though, you just can't tell without a blood test or ultrasound.

4. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

I tried all last season with my two pregnant does and didn't really hear anything - those intestinal sounds are just too loud!~

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend has been able to hear baby goat heartbeats with a stethascope. I've never tried it.

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

On my really tame goats, while they were laying around relaxing,i could hear kid heart beats really clearly.Put the stethascope right infront of and slightly to the side of her udder,with her laying down-they need to be w/in a month of their due dates though to hear it, i found-pretty easy really! :rolleyes:

7. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I keep trying this, over and over and over...all I hear are tummy sounds and some danged rooster outside crowing.

Ruth

8. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

that was my problem when i tried to do it - my 10 year old son wouldn't quit
    jabbering... and i just couldn't tell.. and she was only going to stand there so long.. when i looked up to ask my son to be quiet my husband let go of the goat and off she went..
    i was just wondering if it was possible.. so i'll put her on my goat stand and try again..