Checkin In w/ My Piggin' Friends

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm going to shut down now. Frances is here. We still have electric but it is going on and off. My pen was compromised last night after a renegade lash of strong winds moved the steel posts. The roof has cracked in two places- no big deal to repair but this will be a major concern since my five sows and five gilts will be soaking up wind and rain directly for the next 24 hours at least. I fed them for the 2nd time today just now and know I can't go back out again til this is over. I'm sure they'll stick around if one of the walls collapse- they've gotten out before and only look for me and the feed bucket :) Bearkiller, I couldn't figure out how to reply to your e-mail so I came here instead. Thank you so much for your concern. Pray that Frances decides to move along. She's been in a holding pattern for the past hour.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Dang that wind anyhow. I bet the rain will give your hogs a Saturday night bath of their lifetime. Is your house able to take all the wind these hurricanes keep sending your way?
    You do be safe and you do be all intack when it gets off your back. God Bless. Keep us posted.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Been thinking about you Tango. Hope all is well!

5. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yay! We made it! Power just came back. Almost 72 hours :( that was bad. No electric means no water either. And we had no radio reception (stations have no power) or land phone. The cell phone comes and goes with the cloud cover. We have damage but not so bad as others. Our pigs got out right after the eye passed through and we had to wait it out. They stayed around and seemed real happy to see me w/ the feed bucket when we went back down to tropical storm winds. My new little gilt however is lost right now :( Lots learned and lots to repair. I am so thankful that we made it through- that was one loooong hurricane. Strong winds started Saturday afternoon and went through Monday. But before and after we were feeling tropical storm winds and hurricane gusts. When the winds first died down I realized I'd forgotten what silence was. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you made it through ok. Are you now ready for Ivan. Man I can't believe how these storms just keep comin at ya! I know you'll be glad when the season is over. Well, good luck weathering the next one!

8. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Tango,

I know you've had a mighty tough time of it with the past month +. Maybe you and yours need to consider the Peaceful Coast! Load up the pigs and goats and Go West, Young Woman!! LOL!!!!

Lots to grouch about here, but weather like that certainly isn't one of them.

bearkiller

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hey Bearkiller, Ironically we moved back from north Texas four years ago. I missed Floirda. Having grown up here and having my family here, it was tough to be away. We loved Texas though - 'cept for the tornadoes and the dry scorching 110 degree summers :) Seems like that is a much better place for my wild pigs though. Bloodines up there are more pure. May have to go at least that far west again :)

10. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Tango,

One of the things that has tickled me a lot over the years has been the abundant commentary I've heard from "easterners" about how scary are the California earthquakes. I've lived here most of my life (it isn't quite over yet) and have seen a few of those 'quakes up close. I've mostly been in Northern CA well away from prime earthquake country, so I've not seen the bad ones like in SFO or LAX. And ironically the worst US earthquake was along the Mississippi River...the New Madrid fault.

But when I think about what you have seen in a one month period there in FLA and what has happened in tornado alley further west and the awesome humidity and heat throughout the country east of the Rockies, I don't see any real threat from the 'quakes here.

Yup, hot summers here, but humidity is typically 15-25% so it's more like being in an oven. Much easier to tolerate than the combined heat and humidity and I have been there and lived through some of it so I know what it is about. Yup, we have seen tornadoes here in N. CA, too, but the average width of a local tornado is 100 yards rather than those giants in tornado alley. Plus short lived. Not in the summer time either!

The other thing that has intrigued me about living back east is that everyone builds a stick framed house. After seeing the incredible pictures after tornadoes and typhoons, I simply cannot understand why more people do not build safer concrete structures. There is a ferrocement dome that had a firestorm run over it in S. CA that required little more than a coat of paint to look prime again. It was the only house in the neighborhood to survive!

Ah well, we all do what we can, eh? My very best wishes for you and yours!

bearkiller

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

OFF TOPIC: Tango, I see you have a Chinese Crested dog. We have a crested powerpuff. Small world LOL!

12. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yes! His name is Yuqui :) They're spunky little dogs aren't they? Real clowns. My Yuqui knew how to play dead the first time I "taught" him. He also helps round up the pigs, once the Catahoula starts them moving :rolleyes: What's yours name?

13. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

His name is Peanut. he is about seven years old and is a very good watch dog, but yet doesn't yap yap yap like a lot of small dogs do.

He sleeps in bed with us and always has to be touching us when he sleeps. He rolls over, sits plays sad dog and fetches.

He does bite so when he gets groomed he has to wear a muzzel.

BTW our prayers are with you and hope all works out ok with Ivan

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sounds like Yuqui. He sleeps in bed with me and has to be touching me all night. Usually he is at my stomach and he's always under the covers, maybe beause he has no hair. He gets cold easily. Yuqui has several shirts and sweaters but doesn't like to wear them.

Does Peanut get a professional groom? Yuqui doesn't get groomed. He gets a bubble bath every month and he doesn't like it one bit . He hides when he sees me coming and the bathtub water is running :) I just need to comb out his crest and mane and plumes once a week and he doesn't like ti but he puts up with it (and the aloe vera that comes after ward).Thank you for your prayers and well wishes. We've done what we can do and now we're just waiting it out and treating ourselves to a little relaxation. I can't believe it myself but I've built two solid pens (partially rebuilt one of them), mowed the two acres around the house, strengthened the chicken pens, shopped for emergency supplies, cleaned up after Frances, and readied the travel trailer in three days- just me. I'm tired, sunburned, and an ice cold beer sounds like it is calling :)