Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I was the one who posted about the rabbits in the For Sale section, lol. Are Checkered Giants good rabbits for meat? Am curious bec I ate rabbit once but that was so long time ago that I've forgotten what it tasted like. Would love to sample some soon!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
TedH71 said:
I was the one who posted about the rabbits in the For Sale section, lol. Are Checkered Giants good rabbits for meat? Am curious bec I ate rabbit once but that was so long time ago that I've forgotten what it tasted like. Would love to sample some soon!
ANY domestic rabbit meat tastes delicious. It is fine textured, dense, white meat. Some people say it is like chicken, but personally I like it better.

Are Checkered Giants good rabbits for meat? They are large, but their bones are also large and they don't have that chunky, meaty shape.... and so the dress-out ratio is not the best. But if you are not worried about the best feed/meat conversion, there is no reason that they would not be just fine for a backyard rabbitry. I don't think they would work for sale to a processor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After looking these up, I thought the following information might be helpful. Hutchison, which is where these are located, is central KS not SE KS. It is about 1 hr NW of Wichita.

They look really nice, but are located 3 1/2 hrs from our corner of SE KS here. Otherwise I definitely would be interested.
~Lisa~

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Anybody from Tennessee headed to Witchita! I'd love to get in on that sale! I bought three 12 week old juniors last spring on a trip back to Okla. They were $25 each.
They really don't have the frame for meat rabbits. Would be to good used to cross into them for bigger size,but a purebred is to long and lanky and take a lot longer to reach maturity, Then there is the "Giant "attitude to put up with also. Some are down right mean and with their size, not to be handled by kids or novices!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts