Check this cow out.. Big E cows as well..

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

This cow is not ours, its our veternarians. It is a Guernsey, scored VG88 the last time she was classified. This animal is big, and is loaded with the features judges look for. She has a mammary system that sticks out like a sore thumb, and she is dry! Her udder looks incredible, even at its dry state. She stands uphill. For this unfamiliar with that term, it is a cow that has a straight topline. The shoulders are higher than the rump, and that is a very good thing in a show ring, and as a whole. It isn't common, and when you get one like that with everything to go along, you generally have a gem on your hands.

Here she is, a very impressive animal.

[​IMG]

and here is a rear shot, nice straight legs, and those two to her right are full grown.

[​IMG]

Now I do have a couple other pictures from The Big E (Eastern States Exposition). Let me tell you this, that show has some damn impressive animals. First picture is of a lineup of some very fine looking animals, zoomed in. Second picture is the winner of the holstein show.

[​IMG]
    Toplines are perfect, but look at the udders on those B&W's, that is one class too. The jr 2's on up all had some awesome udders.

[​IMG]

There she is, the winner, and I couldn't have agreed more. That animal had EVERYTHING. Nice high wide udder, strong fore and rear attachment. Cleft was evident, animal was uphill, nice straight topline (didn't notice any paint, or fake hairs and I didn't realise people glued hair on the topline, wth!). One thing I noticed with this cow, the person leading her was a paid show person, was very obvious. When he brought her in for the first time, he arrived late ON PURPOSE, he walked in and stayed wayy behind the line. He led at his pace, as if to say, this one is different. Now that taught me something, if you have something special, perhaps something that is good. Stay back a little, without being obvious about it. Lead slowly, and show her off. Because that judge looked over the others first, and spent more time on her. I noticed with him hanging back, she did stand out. She stood out amongst them anyways. So it looks like its something to try with my milk cows next year :), either at this show or a local show. Not hang WAYYY back, but try to hang towards the back, to give that judge a look-see.

As a side note, that Big E is amazing, very clean setup, show ring is perfectly lit. Nice air flow, and the cow setup is clean. Any manure is not noticed. The heifer class did depress me a little, because I would have done well in that class. The heifer I have, was taller, and as wide as the others, grrrrrrrr. Ah well, I wish I knew of the Big E sooner! :p. For kicks, here is a heifer lineup.

[​IMG]
    \/ Would have fit in nicely.
    [​IMG]

(that picture, the last picture was from May, she has changed a lot.) The biggest change, she doesn't stand the same, her withers are taller than her rump, she stands uphill some :)...

But I guess I can't cry over spilt milk :p. Funny, after seeing animals at the fair here, I thought they were awesome udders, these big shows make that thought false.

Jeff

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Was going to start another post, but naaa. Something I didn't add. Something I observed with the show (The Big E). The heifers all had nice rib, they weren't fat, clean necks etc. When I brought some to the two shows locally, I thought mine weren't as deep bodied, or didn't have enough weight. But at these shows what I was seeing was THEY WERE TOO FAT. Because at this show, they look damn near similar to mine. While watching the afternoon show (milk cows), I was talking with a person who milks for the owner of Gaige Highlight Tamara (google her for more info). We were talking about feeding etc. They feed Tamara beet pulp, high moisture corn and A LOT of hay. This keeps her depth, springy rib, and she doesn't get fat. Tamara scored EX97 recently. He went on to say, that "Gaige's herd has rib throughout". They aren't fat, but have nice open ribbed, springy type ribbed bodies. I would argue strongly in the favor of a high hay diet. I do firmly beleive if the animal has the potential, and qualities. The feeding program can turn the animal into something decent, or a puke. A person who has been raising animals longer than I have has nice animals, but I do beleive their diet is hurting them. They do well in the ring, but they are fat. The open ribbed bodies are evident, and I do beleive that has to do with the grain diet, corn silage diet they get. It surprises me after showing for as many years as they have, they don't feed their show animals more hay, cut the corn silage out. I do think they would do better, afterall most of the people who do a lot of showing have those show animals on a different diet, and those older cows that kick #%@ aren't pushed.

Jeff

3. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

That's a gorgeous heifer you've got there.

4. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking Guernsey- do you know her bloodlines? Has she been shown? The AGA sent out a letter this year going on about how the cow's are getting too big with some BS about it not affecting show results.

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Who was the Champ at the big E? I see Terri Packard and Ernie Kueffner in the pixs so was it Auerthusa or Cowtown?? How about the colored breeds??? The guernsey cow is nice, good to see some with strength, would be nice to see her fresh. ( still a guernsey though). The big shows are a lot of fun to see all the nice animals, compared them, and see all the other stuff that goes with it.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree, she sure is preety and with all that white on her she would
    REALLY stand out! Hope ya get a chance to dhow her soon, she sure is a pretty girl.

:D Goat Freak :D

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The leads person was David Dyment (I beleive). What I found interesting is what I found today while searching up things. David and Barclay are both judges, they also must know each other. In the ring at the big e, they did act as if they knew each other well now that I figured out who David is. David is a world class judge, very good from what I read quickly about him. It must be handy as hell to have a judge like him leading an animal, also considering he likely picked out who to bring. Also it must be nice when the judge knows the leadsman, as they are both from Canada, same province.. That animal deserved it, but ahaaa it always helps to know someone :).

I beleive the winner was cowtown holsteins, however that guy in the orange shirt near the lady in blue (last picture I posted in the first post), looks to be the same guy here.

[​IMG]

He seems to be with arethusa farm, arethusa didn't do overly well at the big e. Todd whittier won 4 or 5 classes, and actually my search for the semex dealer in my area landed me with a convo, brief convo with todd. over the phone. Not sure if it was just todd, but when I said I might bring some animals to the big e next year, the atmosphere seemed to change. So ahhaaa, someone who doesn't like the idea of possible competition :). Interesting how some dont care, but these big boys care wayyy too much, beyond reality.

Now another thing with the semex, I found goldwyn is in very short supply, Bruce Whittier (semex rep for this area) thought I was calling as a joke, because of who I was asking for. Both Talent, and Goldwyn are not common, due to the demand. From what he said, goldwyn would have to be producing 30,000 units to meet the demand. It sucks! I want goldwyn. But i'll settle with some Silky Gibson, and get some terrason :). So it seems, based on his reaction, i've hammered down some decent bulls.

Now on to the guernsey. She was shown, shown as a summer yearling in 96, and placed 1st in her class. I beleive it was the last time she was shown. I am not sure of her bloodline. I will have to ask the vet that info. I hope he can get her bred, so she can be in milk before fair next year, she would do well center stage :).

Goat Freak: Well she was shown at two shows, did well at one, did so so at another (judge was terrible, I think it was too hot for him). But she is done being shown as a Jr. Yearling, next stop will be jr. 2 yr old with an udder at the club show. Hopefully she took! Actually I hope the red holstein took as well, that animal is getting more width around her rump, and gaining height. We shall see, different ball game next year.

Jeff