Check list for a quick getaway

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Speciallady, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

what would you need to take in case of an emergency. A good idea would be to have a suitcase or bucket packed in your car.

Water
    non perishable food items
    extra blankets
    change of clothes for each person in the house
    a prepaid credit card with enough cash to make it for at least a month
    first aid kit
    a towel and wash cloth
    toilet tissue
    female hygeine product

What else can you think of?

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

prescription medicines
    Something to light a fire or to keep you warm.
    Rule of threes:
    three hours without heat/shelter
    three days without water
    three weeks without food

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

a couple hundred dollars in cash might come in helpful.... lots of our Hurricane Rita evacuees had trouble getting cash at the last minute... and if things get squirrely, credit cards might not work... I love my ccards, but always keep some hard cash handy, in case the phone lines are down when I use the cards...

and personally, some kind of personal protection would be in my kit, and extra shells for said protection...

Kazahleenah and Marianne like this.
  4. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Other than supplies already mentioned the one thing I bring would be photos. Those are the one thing that I would make sure was packed (unless I had another means of getting to them - such as on-line storage). My photo albums are all kept together in one place in a tote so that I can easily grab them and go. And I have back-up DVD's in the safety deposit box at the bank. The other option would be to grab my portable hard drive that everything is backed up to. (Triple redunency for photo back-up).

If you have animals - have a plan for their evacuation too! We used to live where fire season was a real threat. I kept the dogs kennels in the back of the truck all season long for quick loading, and the cats carrier was kept by the front door. Where we live now we aren't in much danger for natural disasters, but we still have an evacuation plan and will re-think it before we get goats this spring. No living thing will ever get left behind if we can help it!

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

My laptop, cell phone, wind-up flashlights, propane campstove and extra propane, coffeepot and coffee, manual can opener for the canned goods, something to eat off of, cook in, drink from. A shelter of some kind (tarp and ropes, if nothing else). We could sleep in the SUV, but a place to do the cooking out of the rain would be good (can you tell I'm from rainy WA?) and give shelter to the animals. The trailer would be hitched to the SUV and loaded with the horse and goats. Be a tight squeeze, but better than leaving them in case of natural disaster. Dog and cats in the car with us (cats in several carriers), dog on a leash. Buckets of food for the animals, bales of hay on top the trailer and car. Extra oil for car, gas tank at least half full at all times, one or two 5 gallon gas cans. I second the cash, and would take credit cards (not necessary to prepay them, just have money in savings to replace what you have to use). Yes, the rifle with extra ammo goes along. Wind-up radio. I may need a bigger rig to carry it all! I have a pared down BOB, but if I had time and space, I'd take as much as was possible without making it impossible to tow the trailer behind. In another year when dd can drive legally, we'd be loading the pickup, as well. Maybe even before then, as long as she can drive well enough not to hit anyone! I agree with photos and important papers, too. Anything that will help us survive and thrive. I'd be filling the tank at the first gas station, whether I needed much gas or not, whatever the price, and if it was something that I could plan ahead for, I'd fill up in advance and fill the gas cans, too. Seeing pictures of the folks stuck on the freeways running out of gas was a reminder to me. Along with toilet tissue, a coffee can with a lid and a roll of plastic bags, or a 5 gallon sawdust toilet. A couple sheets, some rope, and clothespins (for privacy) would be nice. With the SUV and the trailer, once we were to a safe place, I can tie the tarps overhead between the 2 (parked side by side), and use sheets for walls. Another tarp can run from the side of the trailer out the other side to provide shelter for animals tied on that side. I'm still working on rigging up a way to carry stock panels (8' long) on the side of the trailer. I can rig up an animal pen with several panels and some baling twine or U-bolts.

As you can tell, I've thought about this quite a bit. Most important is safety for myself and dd, then is shelter, food and water, then is safety for animals, and shelter, food and water for them. I have different scenarios worked out depending on what kind of crisis we're facing.

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I agree with Texican..... $100 in singles (so you don't have to worry about change for odd amounts).

We have some gasoline in 5 gallon cans. Water in 2.5 gallon containers.

We basically do it in a modular fashion (think of concentric rings). Quickest is our personal bugout bags (these are all soft backpacks). Next are additional bugout bags that extend the capabilities of our personal ones. For example, we have a medical one, a food one, a small tool one and one with extra food for the dog and cats.

Then we have rubbermaid tubs With additional supplies. These are easy to load in the truck or on the trailer.

We also have some emergency stuff (windup LED flashlights, solar blankets and regular blankets, extra boots, etc) in each vehicle.

Mike

7. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Stay away from those prepaid credit cards. Most of them have a monthly fee that is deducted from the balance. Most banks now offer debit cards with a visa or master card logo that can be used the same as a credit card. If you are afraid that you would spend or lose the cash I recommend sealing the bills in plastic bags and freezing it in a container of water.

Add to your list a copy of all personal papers burned onto a cd/dvd. Include your mortgage or deed, insurance information, marriage licenses, birth certificates, shot records, report cards, baptismal certificates, income tax information.. you get the idea.

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I keep a tent and inflatable bed in my trunk along with many of the items others have listed. If I have to evac, I will be prepared to set up camp in some safe place. In the winter I even keep a small bottle of propane and a space heater.

I also have a truck and a stock trailer. The stock trailer is stocked with feed and other items in the front. I can stick the animals in the back and take them to safety also. I have drivers for both vehicles. I keep the trunk of the car stocked for survival in case I get stuck somewhere and have to campout while waiting to be found.

9. PaulaBlanch

PaulaBlanch Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I am extremely new to this concept. Last month I didn't even know what a BOB was; lol! I have been busy lurking and taking notes since I have absolutely no knowledge to share at this point. My husband and I are going to a gun show this weekend here in mid-Michigan. He wants to get me my own gun. I am comfortable with guns (prior service, hunting family etc). Any suggestions for a smallish woman? Something comfortable to carry?

10. cc

cc Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with your local gun shop (go to a professional, not the guy at the Wally World gun counter) for advice for you. They are usually glad to let you fire any caliber you are interested in and can recommend what you really need. Some Concealed Weapon class teachers will also help you.

11. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

My thinking is, more than likely if things are so bad you need to leave, more than likely the roads will be either jammed, or closed.... I'd probably hop on the motorcycle.... I'd work as hard as possible to get to our farm where we have a lot of what we would need for minimal survival...

Plenty of cash or barter items... credit cards may be useless... concealable gun for protection... water can be found many places along the road or off road even... (at least in this area)

Clothes can be worn to tatters... Food can be scavenged or bartered for.. Shelter can be made from most any found items...

To me, cheap to operate and highly maneuverable transportation is most important..

12. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

13. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

A tool kit, couple cans of fix a flat, first aid kit (with latex or other barrier gloves), maps, binoculars (indispensable IMO for evaluating everything from potential choke points or danger situations to identifying hazmat situations), a digital camera (should always carry one to document accidents etc), phone numbers/addresses, power inverter to charge batteries....the list can go on.

14. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

I think its awesome she found this thread, and amazing, as this list and my own has changed very little :)

15. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget high-energy calorie dense food. I carry a few cans of corned beef hash in my truck. It's got a lot of calories, a lot of fat, and is passably edible cold, but can be heated up in the can with a small fire. When I used to go hiking, my bag (which would double as a bug out bag) had M&Ms, jerky, slim jims, sunflower seeds, and raisins. If I'm hiking, as opposed to bugging out, I usually have a stick of summer sausage and a brick of hard cheese, and some ritz crackers, too, but those don't have the shelf life long term storage for bugging out.

Keep a P38 can opener on your key chain. You never know when it'll come in handy. Throw another in with your canned goods in your car. You never know when it will come in handy. (Though you can also open a can by rubbing an abrasive rock around the rim of the can.)

I had a large fanny pack that contained about 3,000-4,000 calories of food that didn't need to be cooked, a very large poncho, dry socks, basic first aid stuff, duct tape, a good hunting knife, rope and cordage, a sewing kit, a warm sweater, and a windbreaker, a flashlight, and a couple different ways to start a fire. I could, and did, comfortably spend the night beside a trail a few times when a day hike turned into an overnight hike. (Usually because of bad weather.) I just curled up under the poncho, no problem.

Oh, if you build a fire for warmth, build it in front of a big rock or cliff. Sit your butt down between the cliff and the fire. You'll stay warmer. Lacking a suitable cliff, build two fires and park your butt between them. Keeps your backside from freezing off.

If you're bugging out in a car and camped someplace, cars get cold at night. Use the car as a reflector. Start a camp fire and sit down between the fire and the car. If it's pouring and you can't start a fire, well, at least you'll be dry.

16. unregistered97395

unregistered97395 Guest

Bottle of wine in trunk.

Cash in purse.

Dog biscuits, blankets and water in back seat.

Because, truth is, if it gets so bad I have to bug out, do I really want to live through it? Nah, I don't. I've had a great life. I ain't running nowhere. And if the zombies want to eat my brains, well, good luck to them.

17. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year there were tornados and massive fires in my neck of the woods that required a lot of people to bug out in a hurry ...but I guess just sticking around and needlessly dying is another option.

Edit: I got toned out for a fire call before I really finished the post. I think a lot of people think of a bug out bag as for the apocalypse but there are many situations where you need to be prepared and if you live remote, it just makes sense to be prepared. We blew a tire a week or so ago on a narrow twisty road in the middle of no where and it was bitter cold. I changed the tire and we limped in to the next town about 24 miles but having lights and some tools in the vehicle really helped and I think we saw maybe one or two vehicles pass us the whole time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  18. Sculkrusha

Sculkrusha Well-Known Member

All good stuff....and we read a lot about "Grab you stuff and run" but nobody mentions........Turn your gas off, Turn your water off, turn your electricity off.
    And then again, are you sure you will need to run away.
    Where we live we dont Quake, burn or flood and I have never seen a major storm of any strength. (not saying we cant get either of these things).
    Mrs Skul and I are more than prepared for ANY emergency that may see us without services, and will never leave our fortress.
    Anyway....this is probably in the wrong section but is a great subject.

Cheers.....Skul

P.S but if something beyond my thinking did make us leave, the 24ft caravan with extra water tanks, batteries and solar system and the 4x4 are always ready to rock and roll.

19. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I am a bit like you... I have devoted a lot of energy making my homestead my place to be in any "emergency". I cant imagine anything that would make me want to leave the security of home... where could I possibly go that would be better than right here? :shrug:

20. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

Chemical spills and forest fires come to mind as reasons to vacate the premises. Even at that it would almost have to be court ordered to make me move. I wish I had an underground storm shelter or a helicopter on a pad out in the back forty. Otherwise, we're as prepared as you get for being old people around here.