Cheapest sheet goods to cover woodpile

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by rr, Sep 11, 2005.

1. rr

rr Active Member

Howdy all you more experienced folks. Save me.
    I have to cover a lot of firewood (separate areas) and put a roof over a few storage areas. I'm not too worried about snow buildup -- I can clean it off and besides the wind will blow it off, so I'm worried about the wind some.
    I'd been thinking corrugated galvanized, but it has gotten a lot more expensive than it used to be. So has plywood -- and everything else.
    I want something that will survive solar UV for a few years, can be guywired if needed. It has to be something high enough to let sun on the wood. I can put up modest framework and I can put some time into maintenance.
    Sure could use some suggestions.
    rr/eastern Pa

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I use the 6' x 24' blue plastic tarps from NorthernTool. I stack three rows of firewood on six pallets placed end to end....this makes a row of firewood which is about 5 or so feet wide by 24 feet long. The dimensions of these 6 ft by 24 ft tarps are perfect for this setup. Once the tarp is placed over the firewood, I attach a "weight" to each grommet of the tarp. The "weights" are simply a piece of firewood with a U-shaped nail in one end. Use a cable tie or twine to attach the "weight" to each grommet hole.

3. rr

rr Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've used tarps in the past but got obsessive about covering the wood completely during a storm, then uncovering in on sunny days -- i wasn't getting much else done. I guess the secret is to leave the sides open. I do use pallets, and since the previous owner left a lot of concrete pavers here, the pallets sit on pavers giving an extra 4 inches of air movement beneath..
    rr

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Leave your wood uncovered until you start using it. Then put tarps or plastic covers directly on the piles. It's not nessesary to uncover it to let the sun shine on it. Uncovering the sides of the piles would let the air through in fair weather if you don't think your wood is dry enough.