cheaper trees ! !

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fastbackpony, Oct 30, 2006.

1. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

hi - we've wanted lots of trees, and when we shop the local nurseries it gets very depressing - great trees - but lots of money that we don't have.

so . . . . my neighbor told me to check out arbor day foundation online, with the membership $15 / year you get 10 free trees (one category) PLUS their trees prices are GREAT - for example an apple tree - member $8 - nonmember $15 - approximatly.

i am very excited about this - i could plant hundreds of trees and bushes around here. planning for next year - more apple trees - maybe more pear trees - possibly some oak, and for sure lilac bushes. oh, and hopefully some cherry trees.

now for the negative - limited selection - small trees (no fruit for a few years)

another place to check out is direct gardening - prices are low - compared to what i'm used to AND they have a few heirloom type seeds. :)

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

what kinda trees do you want to grow?

not all trees like the same conditions so you are hamstrung by you are/soil type if you are "reforesting". ornimentals well you can plant whatever and ammend the soil as ya go.

I used to sell trees. I used to grow them from seed, cuttings and wild harvest.

If you have acess to an area where they will let you pluck out wild seedlings and saplings, you have free trees there.

Ive collected all kinda trees from all over the place and planted them around here.

it is an interesting fun hobby albeit time consuming.... growing oaks from acorns, and man types from seed and cuttings.

what kinda trees are you thinking about planting?
    what kinda bushes?

you might be able to find cuttings/rooted cuttings here for cheap or trade...

I have several types I would sell/trade ya cheap.

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

You might check out your state department of conservation and/or forestry. We are getting several thousand trees planted next spring by our local conservation office. They charge for the labor but it is cheap. Some places you can borrow a planter and do it yourself.

We are going to get a few hundred each of-
    red oak
    sugar maple
    american plum
    crabapple
    norway pine
    some kind of spruce, can't remember which one
    some poplars

next year we will be getting-
    black walnut
    nanking cherry
    hedge roses
    dogwood
    hazelnut
    chokecherry
    and some lilacs
    plus more evergreens

The cost per tree is $1.

They have a pretty big variety of trees- tall ones, short ones, and shrubs. And, they can advise you on site prep and maintenance.

5. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info - thats some amazing prices especially for bulk orders !

I have been out looking for seedlings, and found a couple oak trees and have put one in my yard, and gave the other to my sister. Between all the family farms i'm sure there are lots of little oak, cottonwood, and i'm sure some hickory i could transplant to my place. The big thing for us right now is fruit trees - its going to be a long long time before anything bears fruit, so its important to get them going right away. I'm really wanting to provide more and more food for our family with our property, so fruit bushes and trees - even nut trees (if they would grow) are at the top of the list right now. CN - i don't think i'm patient enough to grow from seeds

I grew up on "the farm" and wasn't sure how i would feel moving back here - the crazy thing is I LOVE it ! in fact the sooner we are set up with wheat/grinder, chicken's/eggs, goats/milk, and garden/trees the better - it would mean less trips to town :) i hope . . . . .

we are taking old rotten trees out and trying to get some of our wood's cleaned up and cutting firewood also - with that in mind - i need to plant more trees to replace what i'm taking out.

i'm not the traditional "tree hugger" but i do LOVE trees - almost every kind, and they are so important to our way of life except for in the pasture and garden spot, it would be nice to have this place full of healthy trees.

my soil is pretty good, a little heavy on the clay - going to get some manure from my bro's farm, and i happened to find one of those 55 gal barrels with a spout put in the lower part, that will help me water, i noticed the directions for the apple and pear trees said NOT drought resistant. do you guys know if 2 yr old manure would be too strong for the new trees ? ? they are 3-4 ft tall i was thinking some manure in the hole, then tree, then more manure then mulch = then wrap - then fence to keep the deer from eating them up. think that would work ? ?

6. Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage Well-Known Member

you know ... it doesn't get any cheaper than FREE!

Mother nature has been growing trees of all kinds for millenia without one red cent changing hands.

I've grown oak from acorns, I've grown my own root stock from crabapple seeds and grafted the good stuff on, I've planted willow by sticking a branch in the ground and watching it grow, and grown pine trees from pine nuts.

You don't need to actually purchase anything to grow trees. They're quite cheap when you DIY.

7. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

I've planted trees from Arbor Foundation & they all died but 2! I think a lot has to do w/where you are & I think the Arbor people are well-meaning but sometimes the trees aren't suited to your locale.

Friends have planted trees from the ag extension & they've done well.

If you can use some free eastern red cedars, I'll dig a bunch & mail 'em to you! :)

Patty

8. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

The thing to remember when planting any bareroot tree(that is all that arbor day has)--is that if plant even 1 inch too deep--they rot and die. We, too got tons of trees from AD, and many died. Keep in mind, they are a lot smaller then you are expecting, too. The good things about them is this: they are sending replacements for all of the trees that died this year:) The free trees are about 3 inches tall--but they lived!
    You may want to look into soft and hardwood cuttings--great way to get trees and shrubs. Willows and burning bushes, in particular will root when a stick is just stuck in the ground.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Stay away from Arbor Day trees. They were the sorriest looking sticks I've ever seen, and most died within a year. Not very good advertising for their foundation.

10. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with the local extension agent, some states have state owned nursurys that will sell trees to land owners for a very good price and the quanties are reasonable, (in groups of 50 for bare root, and 30 for potted, in our state), I was buying bare root for in the 60 cent area, and small potted (mostly ever green), 2"x2"x5" at about a buck each, I have planted about 5000, yes 5000 in the last 3 years, and with the poly mulch I have had over a 95% survival rate, even with the drouth, some are looking very good now, and really starting to grow. All have been windbrake trees and plantings, no fruit except for wild plumb thickets, but there considered windbrake plantings as well,
    I am in Colorado

11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh,
    One more thing do you know when the best time to plant a tree is?

scroll down

Twenty years ago, LOL

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Mine do fine. I am on 3rd year of trees, and most survive. In fact I give a lot of them away....I got a bunch of maples this year and they all are fine... The 2 firs they sent me died. I had a golden raintree that grew so well I had to give it away, I needed the room.

13. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You may be able to find some young trees near the ones you are taking down. Then all you have to do is to move them into place.

I would put the manure a couple feet from the stem and let the roots find it.

14. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Not sure how close to a city you are - but my dh is a landscaper, and we've gotten free trees and shrubs that he was paid to remove. Some make it, some don't - but more do than don't. I've also taken starts and cuttings. Also, I have found tree seedlings growing as weeds at jobs in the older neighborhoods. I'll take seeds from an older tree I like particularly well also.

Niki

15. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

skip Arbor...I've had none survive. I do try and scrounge for elms, baby them a yr or two and watch them grow. I do order some...Henry fields & Gurneys are good. I usually get a $25 off coupon off in the spring...you must spend $50 - 25(coupon) = 25. I do usually buy from both w/same deal. They are really the same company. Then, I get these hybrid willows from burgess...cheap. There's a place in Colo that calls the trees Rocky Mtn Austrees for mega bucks and they are the same. If we want something FAST & lg...there is one nursery near us that sells cottonwoods and occasionally do buy f/them...now they are up to $40/tree!!!

16. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do not judge the future tree nor its growth by the size of the seedling. Small trees do not experience the setback/stress that larger seedlings suffer. Over a period of time the smaller seedling will produce a superior and a larger tree. Most of us are into instant gratification but in the case of trees larger is not better when selecting seedlings. Select seedlings for overall shape and proper limbing. This input is from a tree farmer!