Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
I think the main ingredient is Glyphosate.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Yes thier are many brands of glyphoste. Look for 50% and that is thekind that you mix with water. I get a quart for $17.00 at tractor suply.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Buccaneer is another brand name. I saw it at a local farmstore for 20 bux a gallon. That's as good as I've seen.

Pony,

What a steal! Ya shoulda wore a mask!

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
You want a generic Roundup.

It's active ingredient is glyphosate. Shouldn't need any other active ingredient.

The good typical % is 40 or 41% formulation. You don't want some watered down homeowner formulation.......

Some have an additive package (sticks to the weeds a bit) and some do not. Seems most do these days..... You can do without, but adding an oil (not 10w-30, but a crop oil made for this....) helps.

To any of them, you are much better if you add some granular soluable N fertilizer. It softens the water. You also want clean water. Glyphosate will bind itself to clay particals or to hard water and will _not_ do very much if you don't have clean water that is very soft or has the N added.

Some names (taken from U of Nebraska web site):

Roundup UltraMax, Roundup Ultra, Roundup WeatherMAX, Roundup UltraDry, Touchdown, Clearout 41 Plus, Glyfos Xtra, Cornerstone, Glyphomax, and Glyphomax Plus. Most of the products represent the isopropylamine (IPA) salt of glyphosate; however, Touchdown is formulated as the diammonium salt of glyphosate, Roundup UltraDry is formulated as the mono-ammonium salt of glyphosate and Roundup WeatherMAX is formulated as a potassium (K) salt of glyphosate.

Buckaneer (sp?) is also a popular one here. They are typically close to 1/2 price of the trademark stuff, & work on weeds just the same - as the UofN found above.

--->Paul

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Rockin'B said:
Pony,
What a steal! Ya shoulda wore a mask!

No stuff! I cleared the three bottles they had left right off the shelf, and hunted around for more. (Couldn't find any, though.) Don't know why they were clearing it out, but it was getting to the point where I had to mow the blacktop driveway. Had to do SOMEthing... :shrug:

Pony!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts