cheap woodstove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Arlod2, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

The stove is the cheap part of the setup, even a cheap stove needs a proper chimney to be safe, which is going to be close to $1000 unless something usable is already in place.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Those things heat an ice fishing house - about the size of an outhouse.

Seems odd that it got switched to 16ga tin. That seems might thin.

--->Paul

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Wow, my first double post ever... that was weird.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

6. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

www.fourdog.com

a great inexpensive stove I got mine delivered for about $560 with a five gallon water boiler and oven. I'm adding fire brick to mine for longevity , but have nothing but rave reviews from people I know on these stoves and the owner seems honest.

7. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a neat looking little stove. I've been watching e-bay on occasion to see what type wood cook stoves are available. This one looks interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com/9-Woodsman-Camp...0QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm trying to plan for a Summer kitchen in a barn I'm building, and I want to use a wood cook stove. Although an oven isn't essential, it would seem a nice feature to have.

8. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Rablin wreck.

Oh my Gosh that stove for bid on ebay is Gorgeous. A six burner no less.

The price of $850 seems great. Its probablly worth 1500 or so.

I didn't look up the shipping, how much is that. Great stove. My dream stove on a summer kitchen. Very cool.

My home is small, I'd love a summer kitchen, and having a stove that big.
    The oven would be great as you could always put boots in to dry or season cast iron. Dehydrate some jerky in and lots of other things you'll discover as you go.

I did buy the five dog stove( the biggest they had) which was not featured on the web site the last I visted. It has a 16 x 22 inch space on top, big enough for my Cast iron Dutch oven and a 12x12 oven I bought.

I'm hoping I can turn my water heater off next winter with the five gallon water boiler , after we shower in the morning and the dish's are done on the occasional cold winter morning. Turn the water heater off , and keep the boiler full for needs during the day and save some bucks and energy.plus add moisture to my winter air .

I love wood stoves.! Let us know if you decide to get that bad boy Wreck.

9. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

My 2 cents.
    You get what you pay for, either in length of stove life, or how much wood it burns, for the heat you get.
    P.S. I have a 2 dog stove, steel, that is used in a tent (buckskinners lodge), works pretty well, don't know how long it would last if used every day.

10. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I recently finished building a two-barrel stove.

I got the kit from Northern Tool, for around $60, I got the 55-gallon barrels for free from the local twinky factory. The stove-pipe to the roof cost me $40. the 'thimble' [to take it out the roof], the flashing, cone, storm collar and hat all cost me $48.

I did line the bottom barrel with fire-clay [refractory cement], and we got two really heavy iron grates for handling coal, which all cost me $36 and $40.

So in the end we have a 200,000 btu wood/coal stove installed for: $224

We have used it for a week now, and I am very happy with it.

11. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I wanted to add that our stove has gone through it's annual cleaning, poliching and is once again setup, ready to fire-up.

:)