cheap source for stackable cages w/pans

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Dec 1, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I am looking into some individual cages w/ pans. I want to be able to take them outside and powerwash them when I move does,to wean the litter. who has commercial cages that don't cost a fortune? I like the idea of a pan so I can dump the rabbit berries into a can for future use :dance: . now I rake the berries out of teh barn and I use the tractor to drag the bile into the pasture. I am getting griped at by the gardeners :nerd: . I am thinking it would reduce the levels of amonia? I cleaned out my new rabbit barn and it was worse than the chicken coop. :help: :grump:

2. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Unless you have under 10 rabbits, I doubt you will keep pans long. They are a PIA said strait. I hate cleaning out carriers, and thats ust 4-5 done weekly at most.

Stackable cages aren't cheap plainly said. Pans are from $6-$10 each themselves.

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Agreed! Not only are stackable cages A PITA but the lower level cages do not get enough lighting and air flow. Tried stackable cages years ago and quickly discovered they are more work. If you want the manure just rake up under your cages every couple days. It will be a lot easier.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's a space restraint, not for the manure. A lot of fancy rabbit breeders have stacking cages and their rabbits seem healthy. Now, that said, I do agree with the others that you don't get stacking cages cheap. Maybe check the classifieds?

5. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

The poster said she liked the idea of dumping the berries to a container for future use. Didnt say anything about space restraints. As far as "fancy rabbit breeders" If they are doing smaller rabbits maybe the stacked cages work or if it is a small number. I assume the poster is refering to "meat Rabbits" such as NZ or Californians and if you are doing this in any large numbers stacked cages dont work.