Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Waterfowl hobbyist
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed it was time to get my eyes re-checked and start looking for a new pair of glasses. My vision plan through work (pretty much nothing) had me still forking over $190 for the last pair of glasses. I decided to try one of the online companies, figured it was worth a shot........well, I recieved a pair from Zenni Optical, total cost was around $21 with delivery. I have had these for a few weeks now and I am more than pleased with them, I am totally confused as to why my other pair cost so much.

giffy
----------------
GiffsFarm

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
We've been using Zenni, too and for the most part, have been pleased with the glasses. Only one pair had small numbers on the lenses that bothered my hubby, but they replaced them. You can get the titanium frames, and just about any style you want with them. Jan in Co

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I'm so glad to read these posts! I had a friend tell me about Zenni, and I ordered my new glasses from them about 10 days ago. I haven't gotten them yet, but I have high hopes. Mine were $60 including shipping, but I got the unbreakable rimless kind which are a little more than just regular metal frames.

Those same glasses at Walmart optical would have been $200+. I told the eye doctor that I needed my prescription printed out, including "pupil distance" because I was going to try an online company. Because he is separate from the optical department he didn't care (wasn't losing any money). And he asked me to drop by and let him see them and tell him how the service was. He evidently does some free eye exams for seniors who don't have insurance, and he would love to have a cheap place to help them get glasses.

My MIL's bifocals were $500 last time! :nono:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Am I glad to read th is post!! I have to take a look at this and see if they ship to Canada. I pay over $400 for glasses at discount suppliers, and the frames are really lousy.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
This couldn't be more timely. I just went to the eye doctor yesterday the the poregressive lens alone they quoted $621, but they could offer a discount to $550. :eek: That's just a teeny bit over budget for me. I told them I needed to do a little price shopping.:stars:

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
I would love to check them. Can someone please post a link?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
My progressives cost over $500. Insurance paid about half. I always like to have spare, though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had no idea glasses could be that inexpensive!

What's an eye exam cost these days, like at Walmart? I definitely could use a new prescription- my glasses are over 10 years old and I rarely wear them 'cuz they give me a headache.

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
I checked out the site and sent the link onto my best friend. She had taken her kids to have eye exams done not too long ago and paid over $200 for lenses alone for her son! She said her eye dr wouldn't place the lens order unles she got the uv protection, etc for her son because he has such sensitive eyes. He charged $25-$50 per extra such as uv protection, scratch resistant coating and the prismatic lenses (the ones that change from light to dark)! She couldn't believe what the savings were gonna be using this company. Thank you so much for posting this link!

·
Waterfowl hobbyist
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I went to get my perscription numbers from the optometrist that I had my exam done at, he asked why I wanted it. I told him I was going to try one of the online places which he then tried to discourage me from doing. I had expected that would happen.

One thing to remember to get when you get your eye exam done is the PD measurement. (Pupillary Distance) It is needed when you order glasses online.

giffy
----------------
GiffsFarm

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Wow thanks for this post. I'm needing to replace my glasses and the price to replace them is astronomical. Last time it was 380 for regular glasses and 527 for sunglasses. I really don't have a grand to blow on glasses right now. I'd rather spend it on something useful like fuel, food or firearms.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Thank you so much giffy for this post. You have helped so many of us save some money.I never dreamt of getting glasses this cheap.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
There are stores near me called " America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses"...it's around $70 or so for an exam and 2 pair of glasses there..contacts are a bit more
(can't remember exactly how much) Glasses are not made on the spot but are ready for p/u in about 1 week. Saves quite a bit of money for some....especially for kids as they tend to break stuff...you can add a protection package for around $10 that will replace 1 time for any damage. ( don't ask about my oldest daughter letting her dog eat her glasses :p )

1 - 20 of 37 Posts