Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd toss this out there in case someone needs inspiration/instructions for an inexpensive last minute gift. I'm making hats & scarves for a charity project. This is my 2nd year doing them in fleece (I usually crochet them but ran short on time) and these are definitely the improved versions. :)

Couldn't be easier. Measure a piece of fleece according to the kid's head size:

Child Small 2-4 years (17-19 inch head circumference)
Child Medium 5-7 years (18-20 inch head circumference)
Child Large 8-10 years (19-21 inch head circumference)
Preteen/Teen (20-22 inch head circumference)

Cut it that width - plus 1/2 inch, preferably along the side that stretches the most, and the length should be about twice the width. Sew it into a tube along the long side. Turn it right side out, leaving half inside so it's doubled up. Cut the raw edged side into fringe about 4" long. Gather that up and tie it with a piece of yarn, embroidery string, or several times around with sewing thread. Fold up the cuff. And the scarf is also just a tube, with fringe on the ends.

I love these and I'm going to make more for everyone on my list! I got my fleece by raiding Joann Fabrics' remnant bin -- half price fleece, can't beat that!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Oh, I like those - especially the fringe on the top! Thanks! I think I'll make some up for the grandkids.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks for posting this!!
I have some fleece in my sewing box and this is what my kids are getting for Christmas.
My 12 yo daughter just broke her arm today and she is feeling pretty miserable, so I had already gotten the fleece out to pad the strap of her sling where it is hurting her neck.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Those are really cute! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts