Cheap land in East Texas

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by ammon, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ammon

ammon New Member

I have seen quite a few people and threads talk about or mention cheap land in East Texas. I was hoping someone with this knowledge might be able to help me.

What counties are known for cheap land, less than $1,000 an acre? I am not looking for land with houses, or barns as that will increase the cost, and I would rather build these myself.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction to look?

Also, I am looking for probably between 5-15 acres.

2. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I don't think you'll find <1k/acre in EAST TX, maybe in WEST TX, but it isn't worth a tenth the asking price.

4. onthespot

onthespot Well-Known Member

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I heard a rumour, through a client, that I haven't had a chance to check on, because of confidentiality/professional reasons, of land in my county going for 800/acre. I'm highly doubtful, but will check soon as I think prudent. Scrub pine land nearby has went for anything from 3 to 5k... only fit for pine trees. Flat land pretty much starts at 5k, unless you find someone that fell of the turnip truck.

Some of our poorer counties just south of us were getting ~1k/acre, up to two years back, when all of a sudden oil/gas leases brought in 5 - 25K/acre... since then, finding cheap land is difficult.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Be very careful because a lot of land floods. Some is not mapped by FEMA and the realtors will use that to side step a question. It is still usable land, but not for building.

7. Txrider

Txrider Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll want to look up in the far NE corner of Texas. That's about the only place left with low cost land available. I haven't seen any for under $1000, but I have seen some for $1500 to $2500 an acre

Well there is far west Texas, you can get land for under $1000 there, but that's where the desert is. East Texas is old Pine forest, more like Arkansas or N. Louisiana.

One of my employees just went to look at 70 acres for 150k, about 2100 an acre, around Paris, Tx. Nice property with great fencing and currently used for cattle and hay.

More NE of there there is cheaper land to be had, but might need clearing etc.

landsoftexas.com is a decent search engine for looking

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010