Cheap land always humid?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Romie, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Romie

Romie Guest

I've been closely following the threads that discuss good areas for homesteading and am struck that most of them tend to be in the eastern half of the states. I was looking at a humidity map and it appears that east of center the country is very humid. I'm not afraid of hard work, but a muggy day is one thing that can stop me dead in my tracks. I'm wondering if there might be any dry pockets in the more inexpensive areas. Thanx!

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The deserts of Arizona, New Mexico and California have extremely cheap land and extremely low humidity. They also have extremely small populations.

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

AND extremly high heat!
    I rather live in the east than go to a desert with 120* heat!!!

This year wasn't too bad for the Heat and humidity, we've really only had two weeks of summer, the rest has been fall like weather.

4. Trisha A

Trisha A Active Member

I have lived in Fl my entire life, the year I went to OK for vacation in July I thought I was cooking. I have never been so hot in my life. It was only 101 but the dry heat was like you where cooking. I will take the humidity any day!!! So I guess it is whatever kind of heat you are used too.

Trisha FL

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Montana still has some cheap land, but we also have real winters LOL

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, West Texas has cheap land, too, but you can't do near as much with that land as you can over where we are, where it's humid, but we also get rain once in awhile.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Come on down here!!! I've lived all around and several areas of Texas.. but THIS has to be the best. Yeah, you'll die a few days of the year.. but the hills, pine trees, lakes galore.... The weather here is as good as it gets in Texas! It's just right. (Maybe a week of .... well.. some years a month .. of staying indoors like a wimp.. :) But you gotta get RIGHT near HERE.... (see my description to the left over there!) A little more north south east or west and you loose this great terrain. (Franklin, Camp, Upshur, Wood counties)

Oh... and you can also have a blast in 'winter' too.... chuckling about all those poor frozen Yankees up there!! (It's okay.. Augus is payback month!) :eek:

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Its obvious chickflick has never lived in the Texas Hill Country - but since its almost all CONSERVATIVE she wouldn't like it here.

9. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

I think your right about what your used to, or prefer. I lived in Georgia for five years and I will take the dry heat here anytime. At least here when I walk into the shade I quit sweating and feel cooler, in Georgia all I did was quit squinting.

10. chickflick

Funny... I never thought of Fortune Tellers as 'conservative'. Or maybe false prophets are? OH no.. wait.. maybe it's just psychic abilty you are spouting. Well.. don't quit your day job!!

Why don't you tell us, Yucca.. In Your Own Word.. and IN another THREAD where anyone gives a darn...... Cause it's NOT the TOPIC HERE...... what exactly IS a conservative... and WHAT pray tell... does it have to do with where one lives?

Run along now, and save this nonsense for the General Forum.

11. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

It has lots to do with where you homestead. The Hill Country is without doubt the premier place in Texas to live (cooler and less humid inthe summer and warmer in the winter) and for the most part extremely conservative in political views. You see a Liberal like yourself would be truely out of place here (probably aren't 2 dozen libs in the whole county) and probably wouldn't feel very welcome. No sense in living where you would be miserable. Now the Austin area would welcome you just fine - sort of the Berkeley of Texas - a total embarrasment to the whole state with Dallas and Houston not far behind.

BTW I'm sorry I didn't ask permission to respond to this thread. Was it the difference of opinion on where in Texas to live or the politcal information I provided that you object to??

12. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Its been a very humid summer in this part of the Hill Country (Llano-San Saba county line). The humidity is the only drawback for me.

But then there's no inexpensive land.

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Could you post the url or a link to the humidity map please. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one when scouting new locations.

Parts of Kansas has reasonably low humidity and much of Kansas has inexpensive land compared to other areas. Of course some here consider Kansas to be the gateway to hell and wouldn't consider living here if you paid them. How closed minded they are.

For an area with tolerable humidity I would suggest you look west of I-35. Any further east and it is uncomfortable in my opinion. Don't get too far west or you will get into a drier climate which will also be colder in the winter. At the same time the futher west the cheaper the land, $500 an acre vs. $800-$1000 an acre.

14. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I think those of you who pointed out it more about what you are use to then it is about more or less humid. I lived most of my life in South Louisiana - a few miles inland from the Gulf Coast -- and since relocating to Northern Arkansas - I often chuckle to myself when I hear people here complaining about the humidity.

Anyone else notice that no place is perfect? I think the best you can hope for is that there is more you love about a place then there is things you dislike about a place, don't you?

Marlene

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Oh, yeah!!! I'm in NC now. I more or less grew up in Georgia. Spent 8 years in Central America. Then spent one year in West Texas. I felt like a raisin!! :no: I couldn't stay hydrated for the life of me! As far as I'm concerned, humidity is normal!! :D Can't breathe right without it! Moving from Central America during the rainy season to the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert was not the most pleasant experience of my life. I'd rather drip with sweat than dehydrate!

I have friends here from out west, and the humidity is killing them. :confused: Makes you wonder how long you or your family tree had to be in a certain climate to make that much of an impact!

Meg :)

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Afew more , non-political , insights into Texas since i've been here my whole life it seems. The "Hill Country" , is a very popular place to retire and land around the area is VERY pricey . I, would say Kerrville, is the geographic center of the "Hill country".
    ..............Personally , I wouldn't want to live around Midland\Odessa area. It has no defining , Topological features that would Endear it to most folks. First off , most land outside the city limits is OWNED by oldtime ranching families and they don't sell 20 acre plots to Newbies , but they will sell you 20 sections or 12,800 acres if you have cash money . The , one positive aspect is that the Humidity is very LOW . Also , the school systems are going to be a cut above the larger Metro area(s) as they are well funded and well staffed . For recreation , the mountains in NM are 300 miles west , fishing on lakes that keep a constant supply of water are atleast 150 to 200 miles east or southeast .
    ..............The southwest part of Texas with all the mountains is very desirable , but again is tightly held in large tracts by established ranching families or very rich individuals . Alpine , at 4,000 feet elevation is a very nice place to live , as it has a 4 year college, and very LOW humidity as well . The land around Alpine is affordable but in limited supply from what I've heard .
    ...............To establish a home in a part of Texas with low humidity , is Possible , but you must find a geographical confluence of (3) factors, i.e. , location , affordable land values , and a job base that will allow you to sustain yourself\lifestyle that is acceptable to you . .....fordy..... :eek: :)

17. chickflick

No, "Yuccie"..... It was your Eroneous Psychic Abilities... Can't you READ either? It's just fascinates me to no end the prejudicial nonsensical Crap that some people manage to come up with. You have NO IDEA where I may or may not have lived in my life, anymore than you can box me into your tiny world filled with Either Libs or Cons.... ... duh.

Furthermore, any perceived objection is purely in your own mind. I was simply trying to stay on topic. Personal attacks are neither warranted or necessary in Any thread on Homesteading Today. BUT.. if you Insist on making them.. I suggested to you that you 'take it outside' so to speak.. .By keeping in the "General" forum. Now.. I'm not wasting any more time schooling you. You're on your own. But.. DO try to behave. :no: