Cheap homestead entertainment!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RandB, Oct 1, 2006.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a nice morning, so I hobbled with my cane down to the barnyard, pulled up a chair by our big poultry "nursery" pen, and watched Mama guinea with her keets. DH had just opened up the smaller nesting cage to the big walk-in pen, there is a ramp down from the cage into the pen. Mama patiently walked up and down the ramp, calling to her babies to follow. They all tumbled down and started running around. The fun started when Mama decided to go back up the ramp back to the cage. She would nicely walk up, babies running behind her. Maybe 2 or 3 would stay right behind her and go up. The rest would run under the ramp instead of up, then around and around, crying pitifully, then here she would come down again, start the same process again. Of course the babies that had followed her up came back down again. NEVER would all of them make it up the ramp! We got to see their flying abilities, except they would flutter against the chicken wire instead of finding the opening, then drop down again. This was an all-day process. I can't imagine how many times Mama made that trip up and down the ramp! Thank goodness, by evening they were all back in the cage. Wonder if they will remember how to do it today ??

2. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Babies are so cute of all kinds! Birds just happen to be funny in their own special way! I love watching baby chicks learn the ropes of every day living.

3. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

This is what life is about.

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

City people don't know what they're missing!!

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Yep, nothing better than walking outside, leaning on the fence and watching the chickens scratching, the pigs playing and rooting, and the calves romping around.

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have to laugh. When we first got chickens anyone entering our big backyard would have seen the lawn chairs all lined up in front of the chicken coop. Our outdoor bench, instead of facing the beautiful view of the mountains and woods, faces the goat pens...

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Who needs reality TV!

8. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If the chicks start voting one out evey week, Suvivior is in trouble!

9. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Funny that this came up. I was out next to the barn and a small pasture area that the three calves are in. I was putting up new fence and heard a galloping sound. I looked over and the thre calves must have thought it was race day.

Around and around they went. It sure was entertaining! They were haveing a ball....

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Ahhh, chicken tv. It's rated G and oh so fun to watch.

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

hmmm, must not have roosters lol.

12. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Tape on a cats rear feet is pretty entertaining when the chickens get boring.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

<chuckle>

Hey fixer1958---cats are always very entertaining---and when one gets in the chicken coop (never did figure out how!) it gets even more entertaining, before I could bust in the crooked door of the pen and rescue the poor critter!

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I've often caught myself being entertained by watching the chickens, and shaking my head at how easily I am now entertained. Brings a chuckle when I realize how much time I've spent down at the chicken coop.

15. Missourigirl

Missourigirl Member

Brings to mind some of my own chicken entertainment. :)

When I first threw some faulty tomatoes over the fence - one rolled right out in the middle of the flock. They stared at it and ran en masse up the ramp to the coop. Did they think it was a bomb? lol Then one came out and pecked it - and promptly got it stuck on his beak for a second. lol

We have 3 ducks in with the chickens (they think they are chickens). Anyway, we had just put them in the coop, they were all still fairly young, including the ducks. DH made a temporary ramp up into the coop doorway for them, and the ducks would try to walk up it - and slide right back down backwards. Their poor webbed feet couldn't get a grip on the tin. It was hilarious. Up they go - slide back down. Over and over. They finally got the hang of it - kinda walked sideways up it. lol :)

Happy times!

16. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

They sure are funny to watch. My brother has one hen who sits on everybodies eggs. Sometimes she will sit on a dozen. She will use her beak to tuck them under her, and when she does that she is pushing them out from behinde herself. Every minute or so she will get up, turn around, fluff her feathers, sit down, pull eggs toward her, tuck them under herself, and push 'em right out from under her behind again. LOL

Our egg layers will wipe the sides of their beak back and forth on the grass if they have been pecking at soomething wet and messy like tomatos. way to funny.

you just cant buy entertainment like that

17. tweezle

tweezle Well-Known Member

They are amusing creatures! We've spent many mornings having our coffee out at the chicken coop!

18. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who points their lawn chairs towards the critters instead of toward the veiw. They are such a hoot! "Chicken Run" was amusing the first time I saw it but now that I have chickens it's even funnier. They're always walking around muttering to themselves and when something surprises them they run in circles. It's a hoot!

19. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who points their lawn chairs towards the critters instead of toward the veiw. They are such a hoot! "Chicken Run" was amusing the first time I saw it but now that I have chickens it's even funnier. They're always walking around muttering to themselves and when something surprises them they run in circles. It's a hoot!

Haha...I couldn't watch Chicken Run until AFTER we butchered our young roosters! It was a cute movie!
    - Kathy

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I use to spend hours down in and around the barn sitting there just watching the birds and critters really relaxing and entertaining I sure miss those days