cheap herb starts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Jan 2, 2004.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I was in the grocery store and found something called "The Living Herb" in the vegetable area. They are like regular herbs in the plastic containers, only these stll had the rootballs and soil. A yuppie thing, I know, but it gave me an idea. For $1.49, I can get the trio pack (thyme, marjorum & basil)...and they are already growing. I pay that much for seeds, and they don't always make it.

Well, I plan on planting the herbs in a sill container, because we are getting more and more frost warnings. Anyway, I just thought Iwould share.

2. Browsercat

Browsercat Well-Known Member

Excellent price for perennial herbs, but not necessarily for basil (which is an annual most places). You can grow basil indoors (theoretically; I kill indoor plants), along with other things like chives, which I've also seen in grocery stores.

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Frost in Vista? What is the world coming to???

I always grew herbs year-round when we lived in Ventura County, CA. I found though that window sills weren't the greatest places. I planted herbs in large terra cotta containers and left them outdoors year-round but in a sheltered area -- porches/covered patios. If the night was going to be especially chilly (all things are relative -- especially now that I live in northern Colorado!!), I'd throw a light blanket over my containers to protect the plants. I grew basil year-round that way, even though sometimes nights dropped down to just under 40 degrees. (Friends in Tracy, CA throw blankets over their dwarf citrus trees every time frost heads their way and they always manage to save every orange & lemon!)

As for buying starts at the grocery store -- go for it! I always bought starts, except basil but if you want basil in winter, don't apologize about buying starts of it! I figure a $1.49 plant is cheaper than buying a few sprigs of it in the produce department!

With winter storm warnings posted for tonight, I've got to say I'm a tiny bit jealous! Enjoy the garden!
    BW

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

mint can be rooted in water too. I've gotten lemon grass and taro root, from the market and rooted it also. I started the lemon grass in a glass of water.
    lacyj

5. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

mint can be rooted in water too. I've gotten lemon grass and taro root, from the market and rooted it also. I started the lemon grass in a glass of water.
    lacyj

6. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Hey lacy what the heck do you use the taro for? I have some and the plant is pretty [ large leaves ] but I dont know how to use it.