Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t like hard candy but if packed right it last forever. And makes a good add-on to any “bok bag”.
X-mass is over and the stores are reducing left over candy.
One I look for is “Lifesavers Hard candy Storybook” looks like a small book but really is “6 lifesaver rolls” today at Wallmart 4 for $5.
That’s $1.25 or .21 a roll.
I got $20. Them are great to add to “Bok Bags” in the car, work, ETC.

Later in a few weeks they will be giving them candy cain’s away for nothing, I hate them.
But I get 10 packs and add them to my basement horde. If really bad days(SHTF) came even candy cain’s may look good. :gossip:

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
If you live in a warmer climate and put candy in bug out bags, make sure you put it in a sealed container. These will melt and get all over everything in the heat of a car. We once had a baggie of candies (no chocolate) and wrap in the car, and I was so glad that I had put them in a baggie or I really would have had a mess. I don't think the mint type lifesavers will melt, but the Storybook lifesavers we got for Christmas were all the candy type.

Dawn

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Commercial candy is made with high fructose corn syrup. Somehow I can't see putting that in a bob. What I've liked since I discovered them as a child is sugar cubes. They don't melt, tho they do get hard.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our DES guy was cleaning out a closet in his office and came across a 30# tub of hard candy from 1943. It had never been opened. To some people it tasted okay. To others it wasn't so great.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The older I get, the smarter I feel it is to have hard candy around. It’s inexpensive and it stores well. I always keep peppermints and butterscotch hard candy in my preps and carry a few in my purse. Great thing to pop in your mouth if you are out and about and need a quick boost.
We flew to another state in December and I kept my ears from hurting by sucking on one during take off and landing. They can also help you if you begin to feel queasy.
Simple item to store and cheap to boot. I figure in a real emergency, it doesn’t hurt to have little treats like hard candies stored. Keeping moral up will be important.
I just store mine in the basement in tightly sealed mason jars (I buy the ones individually wrapped). I also have some on the main floor of the house. Since I constantly rotate, I have yet to have had any go bad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I keep my preps in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids and oxygen absorbers. After I have put as much of the other food preps as I can into the bucket, I pour in the hard candy and shake it into all the nooks and crannies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts