cheap chinese tractors?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by goggleye57, Aug 20, 2004.

1. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

Does anyone have any experience with the cheap chinese tractors you see for sale. I looked at one the other day that had an 18 horse, 2cylinder diesel with with hydraulics and everything for less than $4000. I am wary but it looked nice.

2. I've never seen a Chineese one that looked nice - crude castings, poor castings, hydraulics that leak & drip, uncomfortable controls, poor paint & rust.

Mind you, I don't own one so I have _very_ little seat time, but I farm for a living and have some experience with USA tractors & Japan tractors. Worked with small compacts, own a NH & lots of seat time on my B-i-L's old & beat up Kubota. I've looked over the Chineese models several times, and at this time I would not own one - looks like money down the drain to me.

I think China has a fairly servicable diesel engine now, but the rest of the production facilities have a couple decades of quality control to catch up on. Much like the early Japan cars were worthless rust buckets, and now 30 years later Japan produces higher quality cars than the USA. John Deere & other world manufaturers are partnering with China companies, and will drasticly raise the quality control & manufaturing standards of these factories in short order.

Ask again in 20 years, and China will have top of the line, state of the art tractors. But today - they are worthless junk. Run away from the pile of leaking rust.

jimho

--->Paul

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Read the title of your post, it says it all.

4. MartyPalange

MartyPalange Member

5. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

thanks for the replies! Probably for the same money a late 40's 50's US made tractor would be a better deal?

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If your going to spend $4000 for a tractor skip the chineese and take a look at the japaneese tractors, Used yanmars can be found, Much better tractor overall.

8. cars pickups tractors all share a common quality get the most common unit possible i have a tractor made in agentina and wish i didn't it is made from fiat blueprints and i can get some parts from ford but for the most part if you get something common as dirt you will find parts and if needed mechanics that have experience on them. What good is a cheap car when mufflers cost 200 dollars and alternaters are 150. dealers never even stocked parts for yugos. make sure whatever you do there are at least dealers around and preferably a brand that has at least 20 years of history at local dealers I would rather have an old john deer than a noname import.