Cheap cement blocks?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Anybody have any ideas as to where I can get about 350 free or really cheap cement blocks? I've been talking for years about turning my garden into raised beds, and I'm gonna do it this year! I suppose I could just do a couple of beds at a time as I get the supplies, but I'd really like to get it done soon.

Thanks for any ideas you can come up with!

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I'm doing that one bed at a time. For my birthday I asked for cinder blocks...and that's what I'll use the check grandma sent, too! :haha: I just plant in the ground until I get another bed worth ($1.10 a block at Lowe's so that means about $20 per bed.) I WISH I could find them free/cheap!

3. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I am always looking for more blocks. They are tough to come by cheap because they are so darn useful. I got a lot of mine when the local K-mart went out. They had used them in the outdoor garden center. And I have had to resort to buying new as well. Sometimes you can find them when a building is being torn down, but I tend to stay away from any that have been painted. Never know what kind of paint was used.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try checking construction sites and where there tearing down an old house plus try the land fills they get plenty of them.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Raised beds do not have to be contained by blocks or other small walls.
    Soil can be simply mounded up to form the bed. Why not do that, then add block walls as you can aquire them. I'm not sure as I don't see the program often, but doesn't the "Victory Garden" use raised beds sans blocks or other containment walls?

6. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I started using raised beds last year, and still do not have anything to hold the dirt in. I just pile it up, and do it again with a hoe this year. Works OK until I can get some blocks. Much better than just planting in the ground.

7. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

If you have the time to stand around most of the day, try any local farm auction. If it's a complete dispersal sale, there's using a pile of scrap and building materials that sells for pennies, but usually at the end. I was able to buy 213 used cement blocks for $5.00 last summer. If they are new material may go for 2 or 3 times that. The bigger the pile, the cheaper. No body, except me, wants to move that many blocks.

Happy hunting.

8. mammabooh

I suppose I could just mound up the dirt, but I REALLY want to contain the beds. My dad, uncle and cousin go to lots of farm auctions...I'll ask them to buy any cement blocks they can get their hands on. My uncle has a family of 6 or 7 brothers that are tearing down three of his hog barns right now just for the materials...maybe they'll leave some of those blocks behind, but I doubt it!

I just rememberd that one of my hubby's friends is a brick layer. Maybe he can scope some blocks out for me too!

9. mammabooh

DUH!!! Hubby and I were outside planting fruit trees yesterday when I had the idea to just use logs instead of blocks for the edges. I know it will probably invite a whole host of bugs, but I'll deal with them if I need to. My hubby has been clearing out the neighbors' woods and several of the marked trees are very tall, straight, and have very few branches.

Any of you have raised beds made out of logs?

10. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

I'd thought about using the concrete blocks for raised beds as well since my big garden is going to be on a slight slope. But then I've been thinking it might be cheaper to just build wall forms and buy ready-mix concrete and make my own walls. Not as moveable of course, but probably cheaper. Any thoughts on this?

11. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Just a thought...... I saw a huge pile of broken (in half) blocks at the mobile home sales office. Try there, you can turn the broken side in.
    Rog

12. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I have the cement raised block beds and love them[ I plant green onions, shallots, hens and chicks ect in holes in blocks] but they are expensive. In my herb bed and my blueberry beds I used old logs I found and they work great.