Cheap and Easy Dessert Recipes?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Dec 10, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Anyone want to post their quick and easy dessert recipes?

We've had alot of cake, donut cake, cake with chocolate frosting, fruity Jello, Jello pudding (saving those lol, I love them), peanut butter crumble, and sugar cookies.

I'm sort of running out of ideas. Canned peaches is a treat once in awhile too.

Kat

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Drained fruit cocktail, butterscotch pudding, 4 drops of imitation maple syrup extract, per serving, chill before serving. You know the rest of it.

3. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

A package of Angel Food Cake, a package of shredded coconut, 1/2 cup water, half a package of white chocolate chips, teaspoon of vanalla. Mix up. It will seem too dry but eventually mixes up well. Stick some almond slices into the top. Spoon up on to a cookie sheet. Bake

4. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

1 pkg. of cream cheese (softened)
    1 pkg. of Oreo (or cheaper) cookies
    5-6 squares of chocolate.

Put cookies and cream cheese into a big bowl. Mash cookies and cream cheese with a potato masher. Form mixture into little balls. Dip balls into melted chocolate. Put on waxed paper until balls have cooled. A lady named Carol gave me the recipe, so I have always called them Carol's Balls.

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I just made these for the first time tonight

Haystacks

2Cups shredded coconut
    ½ Cup powdered sugar
    2 eggs
    Pinch salt

Heat oven to 400; combine all ingredients; roll into balls; bake on buttered sheet 10-15 minutes.

I accidentally add a cup of crushed cashews to the second batch – they turned out pretty tasty too.

6. dmarie

dmarie Well-Known Member

Here's a quick dessert I just found. Haven't had time to try it yet, but it sounds yummie!

Cherry Pear Parfait: 1 large can pears, drained
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 t. cinnamon
    Cool whip or other dessert topping, or ice
    cream
    Put 2 pear halves in bottom of glass or dish for each serving.
    Warm the pie filling along with the cinnamon until heated through.
    Pour a little over the epars. Add the topping.
    I think a little granola or walnuts sprinkled on top, if available would be good too!

7. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Walmart........ ice cream in a gallon bucket.
    When it's gone, use the bucket for a dog waterer.

8. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Just a simple fruit salad, using any fruit you have available, is sweet, colourful, refreshing and always delicious after any meal.

Or you could do a fruit and cheese platter, always a pleasant way to end a meal, and very easy to do.

Going up the ladder a little, how about what my mother used to call a frangipani pie? Take a tin of fruit salad, empty the contents, juice and all into a saucepan, stir over heat with the beaten yolk of an egg until the liquid is sort of custard-y. Thicken if necessary with a little cornflour or arrowroot or plain flour. Pour it into a pre-baked (frozen, purchased or home-made pastry or even a crumb base) pie shell, cover with beaten egg white (meringue) and brown the meringue lightly in the oven for a few minutes. Serve warm or cold. You can use any tinned fruit, really.

Both the following recipes are great on a cold winter's night, with hot custard or even ice cream.

Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding
    1 cup self raising flour
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    30g butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cups hot water

Sift flour, salt and cocoa. Add sugar, mix well. Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter, mix until smooth. Spread evenly into a greased ovenproof dish. Combine brown sugar and sifted cocoa, sprinkle over top of pudding. Pour hot water carefully over the top. Bake at 170C for 50-60 minutes. [Much easier than it sounds! Be decadent and use double the sauce ingredients (in italics) as I always do.]

Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
    Thoroughly grease a pie dish and one-third fill it with soft breadcrumbs. Dot with butter. Pour in enough milk to just cover the crumbs. Place a layer of lemon butter (curd), about 1cm thick, over mixture. Then beat together 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add sufficient milk to the beaten eggs and sugar to fill the pie dish to within 1cm of the top. Pour into pie dish, stirring gently. Bake in a moderately slow oven for 45-60 minutes until custard is set. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

9. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Bananas Foster

Melt a few tablespoons of brown sugar and butter until it almost carmelizes. Slice a banana lengthwise, place in a dish with vanilla ice cream in between. Pour the melted sugar/butter over it, and put in a tablespoon of rum. Flambe until the flame goes out. Or I guess you could just put a drop or two of rum flavoring in it.

10. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

peach crisp:

drain two large cans of peaches, put in a pan the size all the peaches will be in, they don't have to lay flat.
    Mix really well:
    1 C flour
    1 C sugar
    1 stick of butter
    cover peaches with this mixture bake in oven until golden brown.

11. Acts2:38girl

Acts2:38girl Well-Known Member

VERY Simple Apple Crisp - Pare and slice apples into a baking dish (as many as it takes to fill it - usually 7 apples), use any vanilla cake mix (one whole box Jiffy or 1/2 box Betty Crocker etc) and spread it on top of the apples. Melt one stick of butter and slowly pour over cake mix. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Serve with ice cream - it is awesome! And easy!

12. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

13. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Cooked pudding poured hot over icecream...Pick your flavors just
    1,000,000 calories per servee![

15. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Now for a great no calorie treat?
    Use A&W diet root beer poured in your faverite glass dip and place your faverite icecream in with it carefully to prevent foaming.
    The root beer has a great flaver diet or not and I figger what ever they put in it to kill those pesky ol calories in the beer will killem off in the ice cream too!

16. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Here's a fun (and easy) one:

PUNCH BOWL CAKE
    1 yellow cake mix (made as directed)--cut into 1-inch squares
    (or 1 lg. angel food cake)
    1 (29 oz.) can cherry pie filling (or blueberry)
    1 (6 oz.) box vanilla (or chocolate) instant pudding
    1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
    2 firm bananas--sliced
    1 (16 oz.) ctn. Cool Whip
    coconut, chopped pecans, & cherries, to garnish (optional)

Using a 9X13-inch baking pan, bake cake mix as directed on the box. (or use a large prepared angel food cake.) Prepare pudding as directed on the box. Chill. Cut cooled cake into 1-inch squares. In a clear glass punch bowl, layger half of each ingredient as follows: cake pieces, pie filling, pudding, drained pineapple, bananas, and Cool Whip. Repeat all layers. (Garnish with coconut, pecans, and cherries, if desired.) Serve with a long handled spoon. Choose colors of ingredients to match your occasion. (Red, white, and blue for 4th of July, Chocolate and cherries for Christmas, etc.)

You can vary the ingredients as desired.

17. Wildwood Flower

Here's another fun one:

WACKY CAKE (fun for kids to make)

1 1/2 c. flour
    1 c. sugar
    3 Tbsp. cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. cooking oil
    1 Tbsp. vinegar
    2 tsp. vanillla
    1 c. cold water

Spray an 8X8-inch square baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. In a sifter, measure flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Sift dry ingredients directyly into the baking pan. Make 3 holes: 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 small. In the large one, put oil. In the medium one, put vinegar. In the small one, put vanilla. Pour 1 cup of cold water over all and stir with a fork until blended. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
    1/2 stick margarine, softened
    2 c. powddered sugar
    3 T. cocoa
    2 tsp. vanilla

With an electric mixer, beat margarine until smooth. Add powdered sugar cocoa, and vanilla and beat again. Spread over cooled cake and clean up the mess!

18. Wildwood Flower

Here's a favorite that my mother used to make:

BLUSHING BETTY
    8 c. fresh rhubarb, cut small
    2 c. sugar, for rhubarb
    1/4 c. shortening
    2 eggs.
    2 c. flour 1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/3 c. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Half & Half, to serve

In a mixing bowl, combine rhubarb and 2 cups of sugar and toss to coat evenly.. Spread evenly into a 9X13-inch glass baking dish, sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.

With an electric mixer, cream 2/3 cup of sugar and shortening together until smooth. Add eggs and vanillla and beat again. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and fold into egg mixture, stirring well. Add milk and stir until smooth. Spoon evenly over rhubarb and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve warm with half and half (or milk).

19. Wildwood Flower

LECHE FLAN
    (custard)

2 (12 oz.) cans evaporated milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    6 egg yolks, beaten
    2 whole eggs, beaten
    1 tsp lemon peel (optional)
    1 c. sugar

In a mixing bowl, combine evaporated milk, vanilla, egg yolks, whole eggs, and lemon peel (optional)

Mix well until smooth and well blended. Set aside.

In a sauce pan, carmelize the sugar over medium low heat, stirring constantly, just until golden brown.

Spread the carmelized sugar in the bottom of a glass deep-dish pie plate, sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.

Carefully pour the egg mixture over all. Place a larger baking pan in the oven and set the pie plate into it. Pour water into the larger pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove and cool.

To serve, loosen the edges with a knife and invert onto a serving plate, pouring the carmel sauce over the top.

Can also be made in individual custard cups.

American Variation: Just combine the sugar with everything else. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.

20. Wildwood Flower

CARAMEL CORN

2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. Karo white corn syrup
    2 sticks butter or margarine
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. maple flavoring (optional)
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    5-6 quarts popped popcorn

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, Karo syrup, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla flavoring, and baking soda. Pour over popped corn and mix well to coat. Pour onto a cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring several times.