Chatham County, NC --Anyone know about it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 11, 2004.

1. The time comes to jump in officially and not "guest". (Only 1 time, I swear!)

I've been reading up on the AG support system there for market farmers and checking out RE every so often. Looks good thus far but??? Anyone in that area? I'm looking for a warm zone 7 to cool 8 which will match my current conditions. Not sure how much this old dog can learn...

Brief Bio: Old bat (50) trying to leave H and start over. Farming is in family; currently (for fun) I raise figs and herbs quite successfully in small city space spitting distance from DC. Just began testing new seeding varieties for baby vegggies--have 15 to 20 varieties of figs stuffed beyond intensive gardening rules and know how to propagate them.

Tell me to stay here like my family wants and I will or...

katy

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Darn, I registered....

katy

3. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Ok there are some good points and some bad points...... the nearby state farmer's market in Raleigh is a great place for your produce. Land is outrageous but if you are looking for a small house with a small plot of land you will probably be able to find what you want. The land prices seem somewhat expensive for me... (but I am a single mother with 3 kids). I do own 3 acres of land but I have not been able to save up enough $ to do any improvements to it. The permits are expensive. We have a poor side of the county and a rich side..... My land is on the poor side........ We have a nuclear power plant waste dumping facility on our end, two brick plants, several lumber yards and 3 or 4 other factories that are polluting every inch of the land.......... that is near the Moncure/Corinth area. Now when you proceed to Jordan Lake, Pittsboro, Siler City areas the countryside (that is left) is gorgeous!

http://www.homesandland.com/Magazine/Listing.cfm?MagId=2122&ListingId=7621174&

see if you can pull up that link......... it is from www.homesandland.com

Pittsboro/ Siler City area

I would also suggest trying to open up to the hispanic market....... lots of hispanics in the siler city area especially.

http://www.homesandland.com/Magazine/Listing.cfm?MagId=2122&ListingId=7539732&

the above is another option. I personally love the county! I do not like the growth that has come from the wake county area........... Lots of city slickers coming to the country for lower property taxes. If you would like you can pm me for more information.

Michele

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

you want to see nice and at a bargin price check this out, the Terrel property. Only thing separating it and me is the available money.
    http://www.carolinaforestry.com/

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Michele, thanks for the new search link and information; looking is my hobby just now. Unfortunately, I've got issues to clear up and figure it will take 2 years to move but without a dream you die. I've spreadsheeted everything down to exactly how much acreage I can handle. 4 cleared and 1 wooded with a minimum of 4 total. I've done some rehabbing so house can be rough. agman--way too many trees! I won't compete with you for it but wish you luck. :)

katy

Whoops! Just saw the farm you meant. Make that too many acres!