Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I have decided that I am going to try to organise DD and a few of her friends (and maybe a fe bigger kids to make up the numbers) to go Carol singing.

I am trying to think of some suitable charites to raise money for - it won't be entirely my decision, but I would like to hav esome ideas to offer to the other mums involved. So far, I have thought of "Farm Africa", "Farms for city kids", and maybe UNICEF. DD suggested "Children in Need" which is a big UK charity which has a tv appeal each year but Children in Need day is past now.

Does anyone hav eany suggestions for this. I think it should be a children's charity but what doing I don't know. I know I read of one where they provide books for kids in Africa.

I just realised that I have typed all this and I don't even know if you have Carol singers in the US? Guess I will post it anyway, and hope you all know what I am talking about ;)

TIA

hoggie

·
Registered
415 Posts
Have you considered Heifer International? This charity gives various animals to people, teaches them how to care for the animals, and requires the recipients to pass on some of the animals' offspring. This year, I'm asking my husband to give a goat. I like this organization because it helps people to help themselves.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
To me it depends on what you want to do.

For me I like to keep thing local so I give money to my church who then either gives money, uses the money to buy stuff (food mostly) to give out or, if it doesn't have a need gives the money to another church to do the same.

That way I'm sure close to 100% of every dollar I give reaches people in need. A lot of charities take a fair hunk of each dollar for "operating cost". The greater the distance between the giver and the givee the larger that "operating cost" seems to be.

About the only one I know which doesn't fit is the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
this fellow started as a boy (still is!!) collecting money for clean drinking water in Africa. http://www.ryanswell.ca/
i have a friend that was raised in Africa (Nigeria), his father was a school teacher there after coming here to Canada to train as a teacher (and have baby, my buddy joey, who went over to Nigeria at 3, back to Canada at 17!), clean water and adequate food are 2 needs that he pinpointed, that and a lack of security!

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
The Children In Need will still be in need next year, so even tho this year's day is over...i'm sure they still accept contributions, so that would be a good one, I'd think.

Is there a local food pantry? One on the island or even over on the mainland. Food pantries LOVE donations of money so they can buy the goods that no one ever donates or if they run low on somethng. Would also mean the people who donate to the carolers (specially if you go door to door) could donate canned goods or pasta or rice or whatever instead of cash....over hear, that's sometimes easier to get.

We always donate to Heifer International, and Red Cross, as well as US based charities. The Ryanswell does a LOT of good. Not only do they have clean water to drink (thus reducing disease) but the well can supply water for growing crops.

just a couple thoughts.

ETA: yup. we sure do have carolers here :) It's often done by groups who help "the Christmas spirit" in shopping areas; and just for the fun of caroling. Most of the charitable carolers I've seen have been in smaller cities/towns. either standing on a corner, or sometimes house to house.

Here we come a caroling among the leaves so green!
and a Wassail to you!.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The best charity I can think of is your local food pantry. Those other trendy charities usually have their executives on the payroll and a huge chunk of your donations go to them. The local food pantries spend most of their money on feeding the poor. Very little money goes to advertising and payroll. Also please remember to donate your extra garden goodies to the food pantries during the summer. We donated eggs and winter squash ovre the years and they went to good use.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Whatever you decide on, check the amount that goes for overhead and what goes to the actual recipients. Churches usually take the least overhead. If the charity has a glossy magazine and paid fundraisers, they probably consume a lot of what is donated.

Sometimes there is an actual matching of funds so your money goes further. Food banks take $ and buy food at a discount. In Canada, Cornshare is a program where city churches provide money for country churches to purchase seed and fuel to grow crops on donated land. The grains go to the Canadian Good Grains bank which receives 4:1 matching grain from the Canadian government to send grain overseas where it is needed.

I really like local options because generally all the money goes where you think it is going.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for some great ideas. We have decided to go with "farms for city children" which is a smallish charity and runs 3 farms in the UK which are mainly set up to take inner city kids (a lot of them from underpriviledged backgrounds) and introduces them to the idea of handling animals and where their food comes from.

Farm Africa which was another high on the list, is very similar to Heifer International - the provide animals to famlies who can then use those animals to provide for themselves. But has been put off for another day

Children in Need, we are going to do something for "the day" next year when it comes around.

Cancer Research was another one close to my heart, but I really wanted it to be something child oriented.

The community I live in is "better off" - I always joke that I am the poorest person I know ;). We don't have a food pantry, soup kitchen, homeless shelter or anything of that ilk. I am sure I saw something recently about a charity dealing with kids living on the streets in the UK cities, but have searched and searched and can't find it.

So farms for city children it is :)

Thanks for the suggestions

hoggie

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mercy Corps is a wonderful organization - http://www.mercycorps.org/aboutus/overview
Over the last five years, more than 89% of resources allocated directly to programs.

I also like Modest Needs because it helps individuals in the United States who have an immediate need and allows you to decide where your money goes. So far this year over 94% of money donated has gone directly to individuals in need. http://www.modestneeds.org/features/financials/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts