charging system problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by pcdreams, Aug 16, 2006.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

having issues with our 78 chevy pickup.. For some reason its not charging the battery properly.

Heres what I've done so far.. New battery, Had the alt checked. ended up being the wire that goes from the alt to ? ( 2 prong plug on top) was dirty..

It did fine after that up till today. This morning I went to pickup the wife and when we got ready to leave it wouldn't start.. Got out and disconnected/reconnected that connector and it started up.. I'm guessing its the connectors are dirty cause it did it again this evening (though this time it didn't start back up).

Anyway is there anything else I should be checking? I'm guessing it woudn't be the starter or I'd have issues before..

Anyone got a good way to really get in there and clean those connectors out?

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

go to parts store and get the white plug that goes on the wires that plug onto those two prongs. its like a buck and a half. its common for those wires to lose good connection with the plug. the plug comes with a few inchs of wire. just splice and cover with shrink wrap and your done. the plug is where the toggle switchs etc are in most stores. aisle number 2 all the way down in the last four foot section of autozone and aisle five last four ft as well in advance

3. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

cool thanks. Get it running this morning it'll be my first stop. I hate futzing with little things like that. LOL