Charging batteries with truck...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by greg273, Aug 29, 2006.

1. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in need of some additonal power this winter at the place, the solar panels are barely keeping up in the summer... I have a small gasoline generator, but I've read that the voltage isnt high enough to allow a full pass-thru charge on the inverter that i'm using. (DR2424). There are options there to remedy that, but I looked out my front window and saw what could be my new biodiesel powered generator, my Ford F-250! How would I go about getting all that diesel power into a form that would safely power my house? Is it just a matter of running a line from the alternator, or is there other considerations? I would like to charge up the battery bank in the house, mainly, and/or use that power to run energy-demanding loads, like the washing machine.
    Anyone have any ideas how I could get started researching this? I figured this post here might be a good first step.
    thanks, greg

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

To research it,go to west marine or such and see boat charging systems.The boaters are pros at this.

Need a full output rated alternator and a 3 step voltage regulator to do it right and most efficiently.The charging curve on a stock automobile alt. is very inefficient.You can do it,but it will cost a fortune.You need an alternator with a bulk rate charge regulator, and heavy duty to carry the heat,2 things auto alternators do poorly on.
    A car is a fast hard charge,then ramp down quickly in output,very iinefficient,but as I said it will work.Pay upfront now for a good system,or be bleed dry on fuel costs on an inefficient one.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...visor/10001/-1/10001/selectingalternators.htm

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...g/10001/-1/10001/12105/544/9/man/asc/ALL/grid

That should give you an idea of what serious engine charging folks do........

BooBoo

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like an ok plan for very occational use; but for a regular need, I think you would be money ahead just getting a dedicated little generator. Running a big 8 cyl engine just to charge some batteries is going to cost you in fuel & depreciation of the truck.

--->Paul

4. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

with the HP the V8 would make you would be able to produce 10 to 20 KW with the proper sized generator to attach it to. To produce power with an alternator one might consider small wind prop attached direct or with belts to it, but to have a 200HP engine running it would be extremly low returns for the investment in fuel.

5. ponyboy123

with the HP the V8 would make you would be able to produce 10 to 20 KW with the proper sized generator to attach it to. To produce power with an alternator one might consider small wind prop attached direct or with belts to it, but to have a 200HP engine running it would be extremly low returns for the investment in fuel.

6. ponyboy123