Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning my battery was dead on my tractor and my son had pulled it in the barn so my jumpers wouldn't reach. I decided to run to the local hardware store and get a battery charger. Being new to the area this was my first time to visit this store. I nosed around to see what all they had and started putting things I may need in my basket and lastly I grabbed a battery charger. When they totaled up my bill it was $158. and I only had $142. in my billfold. I told the lady I was a little short and would have to put something back. She said thats OK just drop the $16. off later when you come by. This was the first time in this store and they didn't know me from Adam. I didn't realize there were places that still operated like this and it gave me a good feeling, I don't think I could have done this at Wal-Mart.

"O"

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That is so nice, I'm guessing you live in a small town. We live in a small town and I had just started visiting our local produce market when I realized when I went up to pay that I had forgotten my checkbook (they only take cash or checks). I told them I would come back and make my purchases in a little bit. They told me to take what I had and to bring payment back when I could, I said it would be about 20 minutes for me to go home and back and he said just bring it when you can. I returned 20 minutes later and they were closed, this was on a Friday and they didn't open on Saturday and they are always closed Sunday and Monday so it was Tuesday when I got back to pay. I apoloized profusely and the kind gentleman said to me "sister, I told you to come back when you could, you didn't have to rush back". I was floored, 4 days later was rushing back? Needless to say I have purchased everything I can from this family, I always check there before going anywhere else.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
No doubt they have made a life long customer by the gesture. Nice to know such stores still exist. Wouldn't big city folk be amazed at such?

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
There are still a few of those good hearted folks around that will still trust even a stranger.Not many but a few.Glad you found one. Eddie

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
I don't think I could have done this at Wal-Mart.

"O"
You're correct. The lady just insured your future purchases, too. :) Our feed store is like this. One time we were unable to get there during their open hours, so they left our order on the loading dock with a note to lock the door after we were done.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We had a take out order from this Chinese restuant we always go to. I had their menu up on my refrigrator but they had upped their prices and I didn't realize I was looking at a old menu when I ordered, cause we hadn't ordered in a while from them. When I got there I was $2.75 short, I told her I'd run home and get the rest but it would be 10 or 15 mins before I got back. She just told me to pay her the next time I ordered from them. I asked her if she was sure because I'd be happy to go and get the money and she said no that was ok, that I was one of her nicest customers and she knew she'd see me again. I did go back and pay her the rest the next day though. It's nice to know their are some good, kind, trusting people in the world still.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The little store in the small mountain town when we lived in Virginia was like that...being the "Jersey Yankee" :D, I was surprised and touched when the gentleman offered to run a tab to be paid bi weekly--I used it mostly for gas to get back and forth to work at the time. Unfortunately, once the economy really got rough he wasn't able to do it for anyone anymore :( . They were a decent bunch of people :goodjob:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
It warms your heart to know there are still a lot of good, decent folks out there who follow the 'pay it forward' idea. You expect to be treated that way by family (I know, not all of us are!), but from perfect strangers, it is almost unheard of. Fifty years ago, people used to be able to leave their doors unlocked, they helped each other out, and never expected to be paid for their help. They knew that one way or another, things would even out.

Our neighbor has been loaning us his brand new JD tractor with mower and tiller on it, offered his NEW pickup to hubby whenever we needed to pick something up and ours wasn't available, brought us a load of gravel when he noticed some low spots in our driveway, etc. We have been helping him and his family with splitting wood, car repairs, whatever we can do for them while he is recuperating from cancer and undergoing chemo. Nothing worth what he has done for us, but in the end, maybe it will be 'equal'.

When I was asking around to find a bull to breed the cow we have, a man told me to 'let him think on it'. A few minutes later, he introduced us to a rancher who has several nice, registered, Angus bulls and offered to breed that cow for nothing. He ended up re-tagging her, helping our granddaughter tag her calf, gave them shots with our vaccine, and all he asked was a pie! (He might be sorry for that, I'm a miserable pie maker!)

I think it's important to help others, far from you as well as near, whenever you can. With a little less selfishness, and more concern for others, the world would be a better place, no matter how the economy is. Jan in CO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts