Charge for delivering goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kath2003, Dec 19, 2004.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

I am considering delivering two adult Fainting goats to someone in CT.I am in western NY.It will be about 375 miles one way.Never having charged for a delivery before,I am wondering what would be a fair price?I would be driving a 1991 full size van,350 engine.Also,do you charge for round trip or just the one way? Thanks for any advice!!

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

When I get reimbursed for my travel expense I get paid 35 cents a mile.

3. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I haven't done it myself, but I know a few people that not only charge per mile as Milking Mom does but also meals.. and as far as your going, If your only going to deliver them the goats, then I'd think they'd set you up at a hotel somewhere.. unless your turning right around and comming back.. But that's JMHO.. :)

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Horse deliveries, pulling a trailer, are $1.25 a loaded mile...Joan

5. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys.You've been very helpful in deciding.Big difference between 1.25 a mile and .35.Wow,

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I am just getting reimbursed for my travel expense. I'm not hauling anything. If I were hauling animals in a trailer for a 375 mile trip I would probably charge at least 55 cents a mile. You can probably make that trip in about 6 hours or so. You really won't have to stop and water or feed the animals. If you bed them down in some hay and they were fed and watered before the trip they will be fine without any "tending" on the trip. When we went to West Texas to pick up some goats it was a 6 hour trip. They rode just fine coming back without anything. If it were an overnight trip it would be plus my expenses. I paid Ron Keener $325.00 to bring me a goat all the way from Colorado to Texas.