changing toilets...info wanted

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb&Al, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

we have two bathrooms and are taking one out. one is upstairs and one is downstairs. we are removing the downstairs toilet because it is broken, and the one upstairs we want to put downstairs.

question: after turning off the water supply to the toilets, and dipping out what we can, there is still water in there. when you unloose the bolts at the base will the water that's remaining just flow out the bottom? it looks like it would be about a quart of water.

if anyone has done this, would you post a description of what you did?

thanks
    debbie

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

As I recall (it's been a couple years since our 2 a.m. Home Depot toilet project), DH tipped the toilet over the tub and emptied it there. Of course, there was still water on the floor, so I had lots of old towels handy.

Happy Plumbing!

Pony!

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Be prepared to clean up a mess.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

before you take out the bolts and you have put a pot under the supply line use a sponge to get the remaining water out as far as the toilet itselt goes use the plunger to plunge out most of the standing water in the bowl itself

5. Watkinsman

Watkinsman Member

Use a toilet plunger to push most of the water in the bowl down the sewer pipe, put on rubber gloves and use a sponge and bucket to remove the last of the water in the bowel. There should not be any water left to spill. When you remove the water line from the bottom of the toilet tank you will leak some water from pipe so put a towel under it. - Hope this helps

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You can just leave the stool and tank attached and move them that way if you want. It is just harder to carry as a unit.

Yes, the water will flow out the bottom of the tank when the gasket removed--probably all over the floor.

Did you measure to make sure that the traps/rough in is the same distance from the wall on both stools? Not all are the same.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

one more thing when carrying out the bowl carry it straight up the small amount of water left will not come out unless you tip the bowl

8. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

thanks for your replies. i told my DH about the size thing. we had unexpected company this afternoon, and it might be too late now to do something of this nature.

i'll repost with an update.

thanks a bunch
    debbie

9. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

Don't forget to buy a new wax seal before you reinstall the toilet. Scrape off all of the old one with a putty knife before installing new seal.