changing tires on 4 wheeler

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by agmantoo, Dec 30, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My trusty 4 wheeler has very weather cracked tires and I have decided to replace the tires before a problem surfaces. Any advice on how to go about changing the tires? I have heard the tires are very difficult to remove from the rims. My main concern is getting the old tires off.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if the tires are really no good we have used a sawsall to cut the old rubber off in the past.getting them on use lots of tire soap and clean the rim well!! the one we used lived in manure so sanded long time till we got a bright bead.

3. agmantoo

If I cut through the side wall and get the bulk of the tire off the rim will I have a problem getting the bead portion loose?

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

You might. Take the tire/rim off the 4 wheeler, lay it on the ground(laying on concrete would be better) Drive a car or truck over the tire without driving on the rim. that will break the bead loose from the rim. do bolth sides then use the sawzall

5. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

After putting the new tires on, you can seat the beads by spraying a bit of ether in the tire and light a piece of paper and drop it close to the rim..it will make a small explosing so to speak..just be sure not to use more than a squirt....have done many tires this way in the past.

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

my dad had a car that used a bumper jack, he put the jack on the tire and jacked up the car, bounced it, POP the tire is free from the rim.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we used an air hammer to take the bead off. was realy rusted on,.then took sander and ground down the rim,soaped rim then installed new valve stem,took out center and applied air chuck to stem . we use m stye and they opened up and gave the tire a blast of air that seated the bead. one we used a strap to spread the tire. did not use either!! had a tire ruined on a stieger, tire guy emptied half a can into the rim . we looked at him and walked briskly in the oppistit direction!! first try blew the tire over the bead . second seated it!! either as a last last last resort!!! can be a real pain to seat but i like my eye brows!!!

8. agmantoo

Thanks for all the inputs. I will give the tire change a try in a few days. Wish me luck!

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

there is no such thing as luck. only highly favorable adjustments of multiple factors to incline events in ones favor. lol I have always wanted to say that.

10. agmantoo

Well, after with some aggravation I now have 2 of the tires mounted and on the 4 wheeler. A combination of efforts were tried. I have an old tire changer in my shop but the rims were too small to fit so I spent a couple of hours modifying the changer to the rim size. This proved to be futile as the tires were so flimsy the changer would not get a decent grip on the tire sidewall and the tire just rolled into the rim but remained seated. My serated pocketknife had no problem cutting the sidewall next to the rim however. Once I had the tires cut off I took my small side grinder and ground through the remaining lip with the steel wire inside. The first tire seated effortlessly and the 2nd one took a shot of ether to get it to seat. The tires came tied together and flattened in a saucer shape. The tires remained distorted until I managed to get some air in them. Somewhat a PIA. I will attempt the other two tomorrow if time permits. I appreciate everyones' inputs. As you can see it took a combination of ideas to get the task done this far. Thanks!

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I am too cheap to pay anybody to change tires for me; therefore, use a group of chizels to collapse the tires away from the rims toward the middle of the rim. Once both sides are free of rim contact grab two long steel rods that are flattented at one end, place the opposite side of the tire into the deepest groove of the rim, pop that puppy off! Add something, such as Murpheys Oil Soap to aid lubrication or similar. Check to see if the rim has a shallow side compared to a deep side, allways work on the shallow side. It takes me about 3 minutes to change an 18 by 8.5 tire, smaller ones are less.

The use of either or gasoline should be limited to about a 1 to 2 second blast or about a sewing thimble full or less. If useing gas roll the tire so it is spread out around the tire and use a long piece of wire to support the burning ignitor.

12. agmantoo

The task is complete! On the last 2 tires I used my jig saw to cut the walls of the tires then again I used the grinder to cut thru the wire in the bead portion. Once the wires are cut the task was easy. I was very careful grinding the wires while not making contact with the rim. It was so much easier seating the tires with the ether I did not try anything else on the last tires. I was very pleased with the initial trial of the new tires. We have plenty of red clay mud since it has been raining a lot. The new tires are nice deep tread and the cleaned themselves nicely of the mud. With the 6 ply rating and 365 lb load rating each, I am anticipating good flat free service.