Changing Oil

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I have come to the realization that the big auto companies and the auto repair shops are running a BIG scam....and it's costing us people a lot money! I haven't changed the oil in my pick-up for over 60,000 miles, and guess what? It still works great! I have saved a few hundred dollars by not getting the oil changed with NO negative results. I recommend that everyone stop wasting money on oil changes. And while you're at it, I've found that it's a waste of time checking the oil level in the truck, too.

P.S. I was wondering if there are any kinds of additives I could use in the oil to make it last even longer? What about yeast?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, yeast sounds good, but should it be dry or maybe the sludge from the bottom of a batch of homebrew would be better? And add a really efficient oil cooler to keep the oil from getting too hot to kill the yeast, and not letting the oil get hot will help keep moisture in the oil too, so the yeast will survive. Maybe you can figure out a way to use the alcohol produced by the yeast in the oil to run the engine, next thing to a perpetual motion machine--right??

3. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

we didnt change it in our minivan for 18,000 miles. there was a black film burnt to the inside of the engine though, where you take off the oil cap, but it still ran perfect. And I used this crappy, cheap walmart oil so that might have had something to do with the "black burnt film". I only use castrol gtx now. 20-50 in the heat of summer and 5-20 or 5-30 in the winter.

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Gasoline engines I change around 5,000 miles.

Diesel engines around 120 hours, up to 200 hours. At 50 mph that would be 6,000 to 10,000 miles on the roads, even though these engines were/are used for tractors or boats.

Just seems like a good idea to get any particles out of the workings of the engine.

Alex

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

If you buy top of the line engine oil you dont need additives. Kendall, and some of the other major oil companies will test your engine oil for contaminants, and wear metals if you have a fleet of vehicles, and buy their oil. Kendall recomends regular filter changes, and oil analysis, but not oil changes. When the oil analysis detects a certain level of contaminants in the oil they tell you to change it. Quite often the oil lasts for many tens of thousands of miles. Modern engine oil doesnt break down like the old stuff. The main reason for changing oil at 3,000 miles is to get rid of condensated water from short trips, and contaminants like dirt. I used to run the oil in my power stroke 12,000 miles changing th efilter every 4,000 until I learned that that engine uses the oil under high pressure to open the injectors, and is very hard on the oil. I still run the oil in my car 6,000-7,000 miles changin the filter about every 3,000. I think its a great idea to extend oil change intervals, but regular filter changes are a must. Talk to a fleet mechanic like UPS, or Ryder. I dont know for a fact, but I'll bet they have extended oil change programs implimented.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Before you people get too wrapped up in this changing oil thread, I suppose I should oughta warn you that what I've written is a "parody" or as some would call it "a lie."

7. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

There are several additives that will make your oil last longer. When oil is heated and cooled repeatedly, it eventually loses its lubricating properties. If you add sand and gravel to your crank case, the engine will not run anymore in fairly short order. If it doesn't run, then the relentless cycle of heating and cooling will be less frequent...it will get warm in the summer and cold in the winter. With a cycle that slow, you may never have to change the oil again.
    I no longer recommend adding yeast, however, as they eventually digest the gaskets and the engine will leak oil, defeating the benefits of the gravel.

You know, despite the fact that I'm having fun with a silly topic, this isn't much of a homesteading thread, either. I think it should be removed by a moderator straightaway.
    ray

8. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Gasp. I've been hoodwinked. I still stand by the idea about the gravel, though.

9. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i buy mobil 1 synthetic.

my car is 12 years old and still running strong, all i ever did was keep the fluid levels topped off and fresh.

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Thanks for the disclaimer, my DH was starting to pace and shake his finger. He is a big believer in oil changes, when he has time.
    But whats the point in teasing us like this? Bored?

11. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

CF, I think you're going to have to explain more clearly. Not sure everyone is unserstanding that you are trying to educate us on the fact that some things are simply necessary because physics or chemistry dictates, and there are not always magical potions to avoid these. As my son said the other day, "Dad, sarcasm is sometimes lost on you." This from a kid that puts up with my sarcasm all the time. Hmmmmmmmm.

12. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Bored today Cabin Fever?!? You know, quite a few people are going to miss the above post from you (read down through it quickly or simply skip it) and are going to try to do this!!! They'll come back in a year when there engine is now junk wondering what they did wrong. They will read that it was a joke, get a lawyer involved, you will be sued, the case will go on for years . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, the mess you have just created!!!! ;)

13. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I went to high school with this kid who had a barracuda, he was trying to blow up the engine so his parents would buy him a new one, so he drained all the oil out, he drove it for a couple weeks with no oil didn't hear how long it lasted. don't lie to us any more you little rascal.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........... The net effect is going to be that every time you decide to kill a thread that is "non homsteading" in Content and Intent your judgement is going to be Suspect by the initiater of that thread . You only hurt yourself as a Moderator , which IS , by definition , suppose to BE , Impartial . fordy... :(

15. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, I know a guy that uses AMSoil in his diesel pickup and he has not changed it in 240,000 miles. He DOES have a supplemental dual filter system and changes that every 15,000 and has oil analysis run by Amsoil. They claim it never breaks down.

I'm currently trying it in my car and tractor. We'll see.

16. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Try Molassas..and a razzberry or two.

17. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I always so appreciate the especially helpful shop-talk men opinion's about things, and their oh, so ever helpful advice. I know this thread isn't there, but...Deb

18. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should take up a fund for CF to get some counseling. Obviously he has undiagnosed and unresolved issues. :rolleyes: Continuing parody... sheez.

I recognize smart aleck when I read one! :p

DeAnn

19. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Everytime , you change both filters , you have to ADD new oil . I'm assuming that each filter equals 1 quart . So , you would be adding ~~ 2 fresh quarts of oil every 15k miles . Also , I don't see how AmSoil could be any better than Mobil #1 . just my .02's worth .
    ..............What does it cost to setup a double filter system from AMsoil and what does a Qt of say 10w-30 cost ?? I'm just curious cause I can buy M#1 at Wal-Mt. for about $5 or so . thanks , fordy... :)

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Right, seems like it could almost be a general chat type post don't it?