Changing Minerals prior to calving

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by landlord, Oct 15, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I have heard to change mineral block prior to calving but I was not told what to change to. It will aid in the cleaning of the heifer/cow after calving.

Any suggestions?

2. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Selenium helps with preventing a retained placenta, which can lead to a uterine infection. We didn't have a mineral block with selenium in it the 1st time our cow calved and the vet had to come out 5 different times to remove the placenta and clean her out.

Claire

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You didn't say what kind of mineral you are feeding, trace mineral with salt is not enough. You need tobe sure you have a good quality FRESH mineral. Also, is is imperitive that you make sure your cows are getting enough vit. A. Vit.A degrades rapidly, so if they are getting older hay they should be getting some.

4. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

They are on salt and a phos-8 or something like that. I will check with the amount of selenium, however.
    The hay is first cutting this year. They are also getting about a half a bucket of grain each day split between them. Should they be getting any additional grain? Soon to be turned out on cornstalks after their belly is full. The exercise will be good for them. thank you...klh

5. tinknal

A good quality loose mineral and fresh hay (or good graze) should be ok. Milk fever could be an issue with a dairy breed, If you have a dairy breed, you need to be sure and reduce calcium content in both mineral and forage.

6. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

Now that Christmas shopping is over (and paid for) and seed catalogues are starting to arrive, It's time for me to get back to the work ahead of me this Spring... As such, my heifer is bred to deliver in June/July so knowing that we have hay that's low in selenium here in NH, I figure this is good advice. My question is how much? I just bought 25 lbs of Min-A-Vite from Blue Seal. Does anyone here have any experience with this supplement?
    I used to raise dairy goats and would supplement their diet with molasses in the drinking water. Unfortunately, even that along with a 16% dairy feed and lots of hay, I'd lose too many kids to mineral deficiency. The veterinary college in Massachusetts where we'd have them treated, ultimately told me it was due primarily to poor nutrient hay.
    I had so much trouble getting her bred (couldn't spot her cycle) that I want to make sure my little girl has a healthy calf and remains healthy herself afterwards.
    Any suggestions relative to the Min-A-Vite?

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I don't know that particular product, but read the label. Most mineral products for cows are fed free choice. Just put it out there and when it's gone add more.

It is important for them to have this all year 'round, though the types of mineral you use might vary by season. We use Kent ADE mineral when we are on winter feeding and switch to....can't remember all the letters...for grazing season. The grazing mineral has stuff to fight the effects of endophytes in fescue and also to cut down on fly larvae in manure.

Those red salt blocks, or trace minerals aren't any good for anything, except the salt takes longer to melt in the rain.

Jena

8. Allan Mistler

Thanks Jena,
    I tried feeding it free choice to her but she inhaled some and I decided that wasn't a smart plan, so I've mixed it in with the coarse 14 feed which, because of the molasses, prevents the powder from being inhaled. Perhaps it makes no difference in the big scheme of things but it makes me feel better.
    I like the idea of using a food supplement that cuts down on fly larvae so if you can remember the name of that stuff please add a post or perhaps a pm if this thread drops into the archives first. I agree... the salt block, though amusing to my steer, is meaningless to this heifer. It doesn't get rained on since I keep it in the stall, but she's been ignoring it completely. I'm really looking forward to spring since I fertilized and seeded the brand new pasture area with a Timothy/Clover mix last fall. I'm psyched!!! Come on Spring!!!

9. tinknal

Its called IGR mineral (insect growth regulator). Look for a Moormans feed dealer.

10. Allan Mistler