Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold off all of my commercial NZ rabbits this past week, breeding stock and kits. A friend has been bugging me to get more into the Harlequins (ie Japanese in addition to the Magpies I already have) and since they are a meat rabbit too and there's only so much room in my freezer . . . So for one short day I actually had empty cages! :dance: I was a little sad to see my breeders go, but they've gone to someone who wants to breed meat rabbits too and I know they'll perform well for him.

Then I went on a rabbit run today, :rolleyes: picked up two gorgeous little Lionheads- a broken black doublemane doe and a tricolour singlemane buck - and a new Magpie Harlequin buck. He's quite a chunky fellow so he should throw some decent size kits. He's a different bloodline from what I already have as well, so it gives me more choices for breeding. I won't get any Japanese until spring, when I can get my barn set up better (get the junk out of my rabbit area :viking: so I've got room) - and that ain't gonna happen until better weather.

Roll on rabbit show season!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hmmm, here I've been contemplating NZ's all day and you've been getting rid of yours! I keep thinking I should get rid of the LH and just get another meat breed! ;p

I am considering a color project though that would require NZ Reds, my dilema, of course, is do I want to do that, but loose the brood stock sales of purebred NZ's. What I want is something that will breed earlier and produce meat sooner to help pay for the rest of the barn, while I get the other breeds on that track as well. But if I do a color project, no one will want cross bred NZ's, will they?

For those of you who have NZ's, do you sell lots of brood stock, and do people usually want the REW's instead of the other colors?

Meh, I've gone and hijacked the thread!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Darnit!! You sold them all....grr, i want to get into NZ's...

So, how good do NZ's produce?....im debating what NZ to get into, im thinking NZ whites or reds... I know I dont want the black.

Its always fun to have empty cages, it makes it feel so much easier to feed the rabbits, but then again those empty cages dont last long!!!

Harlequins are a very nice breed, there isnt very many breeders out there either. They are very hard to show as well. When I was out at a rabbit show i heard that out of 200 kits only 2 were showable(i think thats the ratio).

Lionheads are fun to!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I think it must be fun to change directions now and again with the buns. I'm a bit of a stick-in-the-mud, clinging to my original mutt line, but harlequins sound wonderful. Lionheads... Definitely cute and a challenge to breed from what I've been reading. Have fun!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're both a challenge to breed, that's for sure. :goodjob: That's what makes it fun. It's like Christmas when the Harlequins kindle - "oooh, what did I get? What did I get?" The Lionheads take a little longer to tell if you got a good one.

Jesse, if you're interested in red NZs, talk to Moonkitten. That's what she's working on right now. I think she got out of the whites? Mine were a mixture of purebred and crossbred NZ, and I was quite happy with the size of litters and the growth rates. The crossbreds were more fun as far as colours went though!

Well, there's two "new" breeders of Harlequins starting to hit the shows - me and my friend down in Tillsonburg. :happy:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I believe I got my doe with her litter from Moon Kitten. The rabbitry's name is "Down the Rabbit Hole." I couldn't make up my mind regarding the red and asked the lady to suprise me. So my dear Heidi doe came with a litter of red, white, black, and blue.

The children hearing the colour options had all wanted the white named Snow now, but seeing the red wanted her quickly naming her Autumn. :duel: I am secretly happy that I'm left to play with my blacks and blues.

I do not know the correct wording, but do believe the reds and blues will soon be accepted as true New Zealands. Hopefully in the future I will be able to help people wanting to get some coloured New Zealands up north here in Ontario. In the meanwhile I highly recommedn "Down the Rabbit Hole." The rabbits I got are so sweet natured.

Diego, my black young buck, is quickly winning hearts with his demands for a variety of treats.

With all these varieties and colours of rabbits to choose from I couldn't think of an easier and more fun animal to keep. Best wishes to everyone for the New Year!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Down the Rabbit Hole is Moonkitten's rabbitry - and she does have nice rabbits. That's where I got my NZs to start with, as well as my first Harlequins.

·
Registered
831 Posts
For those of you who have NZ's, do you sell lots of brood stock, and do people usually want the REW's instead of the other colors?
I sell lots and could sell more *IF* I had them available. I only
sell rabbits as breeders that I would want to retain in my herd.
I don't sell a group of fryers so people can have breeders!
I get a lot of inquiries re. the Californians but the NZW are my
best sellers for meat production.

Since I only have white rabbits, it's not normal for people to contact
me regarding colors so I can't answer that.

It helps to have a website (properly worded) that can be found by
the search engines.
Linda Welch

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I also recommend Moonkitten. I bought my NZ from her and they are great rabbits, healthy and breed easily.

I now have red, white, black, blue and steel (black with brown tips, very nice) and I like the colours for a couple of reasons. One, I like the surprise in the nestboxes each time I have a litter and, two, I intend to tan the furs and try to make things out of them and I like the variety of colours available to me. I'll probably mix and match colours and see what I come up with.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Ditto what they all said about Moonkitten. Great rabbits. I, too, am out of meat rabbits at the moment - other life issues have had to take priority. However, in another year when I'm ready to get back in to them, I'll be talking to Moonkitten - either for NZs or perhaps even the Harlequins. For now my Polish fill my needs and are very easy to breed and care for.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
I'm at a crossroads myself, and am seriously thinking of getting rid of nearly everything and starting over. I'm down to one Lilac, wasn't all that crazy about the breed. Have one Harlequin, used her as a foster mother, which she is great at, but she's getting up there in years. I have a pair of Flemish that I'd like to place in a pet home, Flemish just take up so much space and resources that smaller rabbits are just more economical. The Cremes are lovely but I can't get my does bred, may keep my buck and get new does, or may just let them all go. All of my Silvers are old, I should have kept replacement stock out of my 07 babies but didn't, big mistake. I really want to keep the Silvers though. The Florida Whites stay, although my foundation doe must go. I have a an English Lop doe I got to work on BEW velvet lops, I like her, and the Mini Rex will stay and I'll continue to work on my BEW program. I need to clean house, I don't want to, but I have to. May really cut down drasticly and then go to convention and look around, stick with smaller breeds, their so much easier.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I sell lots and could sell more *IF* I had them available. I only
sell rabbits as breeders that I would want to retain in my herd.
I don't sell a group of fryers so people can have breeders!
I get a lot of inquiries re. the Californians but the NZW are my
best sellers for meat production.

Since I only have white rabbits, it's not normal for people to contact
me regarding colors so I can't answer that.

Linda Welch
I hear ya on that! Just because my SF may have 5 does in that litter, doesn't mean I'll sell 5 does! Yep, I know I could, there are some breeders with wait lists that can sell entire litters. (I see this in other breeds too) Out of an average litter of six SF, I may save one, maybe two. On occasion I HAVE saved entire litters, but only because they were just that nice!

A fellow breeder wants to buy some of my culls for her wait list customers, she did mention that my culls would be her keepers! :rolleyes:

Do you get much call for Cali/NZ crossed brood stock Linda? Or are those a terminal cross at your place? Hence my dilema, I'd like to do a color project, but I don't really want to send cross bred stock "Out into the world" either.

Errr, I know the website needs work! Its on my list of things to do, really!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well gosh, I'm just all embarassed now :eek: but I'm so very glad that you are all enjoying the rabbits from my rabbitry. Like Linda, I'm pretty particular about the rabbits that I sell. Most go to freezer camp, and only those that I really think are quality will be kept/sold.

I'm looking forward to seeing your harlequins at the shows next spring, Pookshollow!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do you get much call for Cali/NZ crossed brood stock Linda? Or are those a terminal cross at your place? Hence my dilema, I'd like to do a color project, but I don't really want to send cross bred stock "Out into the world" either.

Errr, I know the website needs work! Its on my list of things to do, really!
My customers want purebred rabbits. I would use F1 does if I were
only breeding for meat. I raise rabbits as a business and need to
produce what the market wants.

I was referring to *MY* website and not yours!!! Sorry! I've worked
hard to get the wording right to be near the top of the search results
when people *google* for Californians or New Zealands in Texas.
I check the "search strings" provided by my hosting company and
frequently tweak the wording to take advantage of those phrases.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I have Cals and White nz. The most popular request from my rabbitry is a Cal buck and a pair of NZW does.
I won't sell the hybryds I breed for my self and only breed for hybryd when I have extra NZW does and my cal buck has nothing to do.
I almost bought a colored NZ a few times, but my small rabbitry just cann't support any more bucks. And i wouldn't want to cross breed the colors.
I have also thought abought dropping the NZs for all Cals, but I would loose alot of sales. The cals are difficult to get here if you want new blood.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have meat mutts. NZW crosses. I think 3 are pure nzw. Looking for Silvers tho. Havent been real serious about finding them yet. Not till all the cages in the barn are finished. We just added a 8 x 8 addition to the 12 x 23 foot barn. He keeps saying the barn isnt getting any bigger. LOL Then comes in with new ideas. Need to sit down and make drawings of where I want things. :shrug: Still to new at this to know what all I need in the barn. I am really enjoying the buns in the barn.

Linda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts