Changing feed...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, May 18, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Okay, I've been mixing my own grain, but the place where I normally buy bulk grain is very far away, gas is nearing $3 a gallon, and a Tractor Supply just opened up in town, with much better prices than the local feed stores.

Those of you who are familiar with TS, do you have suggestions on what I can switch my couple of dairy goats over to? I feed alfalfa pellets as well as the grain mix. And hay and graze/browse. of course. I'm going to switch the poultry over, too, but they're easier than the goats.

Thanks for any suggestiosn.
    Meg

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't really like much of what TSC carries. Everything I've looked at contains grain by-products, not any kind of whole grain; and a lot of it even has animal by-products!! Yuck!

Do they sell whole grains? I thinks ours has whole oats, but they're much pricier then the local feed stores. If they have whole oats, you could do alfalfa pellets, with the whole oats and/or barley on the milk stand. Just make sure you have a really good mineral. Ours special ordered the Techmaster loose minerals that we use, but they don't normally carry anything that's any good, IMO.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I feed frees choice alfalfa pellets and grass hay and browse. On the milkstand twice a day, i feed 2 lbs of 4 parts whole oats and 1 part corn chops, with a handful of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and a handful of beet pulp. If I run out of the BOSS and Beet pulp, i feed just the oats/corn mix. My goats get no other feed. They get a good loose goat mineral and clean water. I do give apple slices for a treat after they are milked to lead them back to the pen.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, they had both whole oats, and rolled oats. I just mixed up my last 150 lbs of grain mix, so I'd better run down there and read labels...I hadn't even thought about grain Parts...or animal parts, either, for that matter! I've liked mixing my own, but right now I would have to ask a neighbor to come unload for me, even if I went to get grain, as it comes in 55 gal drums....about 300 pounds each. Maybe when hubby gets back I can switch back to the grain.....

Thanks for the comments, reminders and suggestions!

Meg

5. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Our TS doesnt carry alfalfa pellets, but it does carry oats, corn, and sunflower seeds. We like the "all stock feed". It HAS grains, plus mollasas (sp), which my does really like while on the stand.

6. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

I like TSC for alot of stuff, but not really for the feed. The prices are on the high side for most feed. Example, whole corn $5.45 TSC, $4.50 everywhere else. I think their goat feed was about 75 cents higher than one of the feed stores I checked, and they only had the one type.