Champagne D'Argents?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JAS, May 20, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I am interested in the Champagne D'argent breed. I know I have seen someone in this group that raises them. I am learning with some wonderful Satins, so far so good. My interests are for meat but won't mind selling a few and my children are getting 4-H age now and am thinking we might show some.

My problem is location. Does anyone know of breeders near South Dakota/Minnesota area? I'm not looking to buy right now--still learning--but would like to set up a contact or two.

Thanks.

2. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

JAS,

We don't raise Champ's, but we do have a buck. We breed him to a Silver Fox doe and to our Californian does. The crosses make nice meat rabbits. You might want to join the Champagne D'Argent group at Yahoo.com. I'm sure someone there could put you in contact with a breeder in your area.

Good luck,

Mike

3. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

Our Champagne buck and our two Silver Foxes (1 buck/1 doe) are not as friendly as our Californians. They are more nervous and more easily startled. They have calmed down a lot over time and will extend their heads to be scratched and petted. They are not mean and the Silver Fox doe is a great mother. Both the bucks get right down to business, when a doe is put in for breeding. Over all, we are very pleased with them. We will definitely be purchasing more in the future. Either breed would be a good choice for meat. They are beautiful rabbits for show. We especially enjoy watching the young ones as they silver out. Each one silvers in a different pattern.

I've always been told that the Champagne is the best flavored of the domestic rabbits. I have not tasted every breed, so I can not say if it is true. What I can say is this. We have dined on Champ. x Silver Fox and Champ. X Californian. These two crosses have much better flavor than the mixed breed rabbits we raised before. And those mixed rabbits were mighty good! Of course, this might be due to the different brand of feed we are using now. I've heard the Champ. x Satin is also a good cross for meat. While the Californian and NZW seem to be the favorites for meat pen, the Champ's. can do well. What ever the case, we are very happy with all three of the breeds we have.

When you get some producing, let us know what you think.

Mike

4. ushillbillies

ushillbillies Member

Hello--
    We have been raising bunnies about a year and it is true what they say, "they all reproduce like rabbits." We have several full blooded, show quality, pedigreed Champagne D'Argent bunnies available right now. We also have a few mixes. They are all about three months old and ready to go! :yeeha: We will have some more available bunnies in another month. (They just keep coming and coming and coming and coming.... :haha: ) We have raised NZ, Californian, Standard Rex and Champs and by far the best tempered is the :worship: Champagne D'Argent. They just cannot get enough attention. We have a doe that will not eat a treat until you "love her up". Give her a good scratchin' between the eyes that is. :eek: Please feel free to visit our website http://www.geocities.com/thefuzzrabbitry or email us at joezanzibar@aol.com Thanks for your time. --Bobbie