Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rob30, May 1, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in the market for a new chainsaw. What size would be the smallest I need. I was using my brothers old 40cc pioneer, but he took it back(he moved). Now I am stuck with a 36cc brush saw. The 40cc seemed a little small, but heavy. And it was tuned by a chain saw racer, so it was a little more powerful than most 40cc. Canadian Tire has pioneer 46cc, and a troy built 48cc. I mostly cut small stuff, for stove wood. I heat with wood, cutting up dead trees on my property, or cleaning up after the loggers.

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

We use a Husqvarna 350 and a Poulan 2050. Both are considered "homeowner level" and not very impressive saws. BUT, we cut more wood than most would believe. Below is a picture of the firewood pile we are making for our homesteader friend.

WW likes the smaller saw and runs it very well (and is just as good with a maul). Occasionally we would like to have a bar longer than the Husky's 16", but not often.

Many (most?) mid-range, not too expensive saws are far more competent and robust than most operators.

If we were making a living cutting wood, we might option up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Try stihl. They make a GREAT saw. Had a Husqvarna. It would not start when hot. But when ruuning it cut good. Poulans are a step ahead of a hand saw. The old Homlites are also good.

http://www.stihl.ca/products_chainSaws.asp

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Do a search of this forum and you'll find a dozen or so threads that ask nearly the same question. I believe that you'll find that most people will recommend a Stihl, Jonsered or Husky. These are all good saws, buy the brand that has the closest service center to where you live. If you're using the saw to cut whole trees into a cord or two of firewood per year, my recommendation would be to buy nothing smaller than a 49cc and a 16-inch bar.

5. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I agree with Cabin Fever,in that its wise to buy something with a nearby service dealer.I had never heard of jonsered until Katrina got us,and chainsaw dudes came swooping in from all over the place to help us out.Since then,I've run a few of them,and I'm impressed.I run stihls.The 021(I think it's called a ms210,now)is a lightweight saw,and is great for the small stuff.If you want a little more saw,and are willing to lay down a little more dough,a ms260 pro is probably the last saw you will ever have to buy,but is heavier.A poulan couldn't cut it's way out of the garbage bag it belongs in.

6. dseng

dseng Member

I really like my Stihl MS290 "FarmBoss" model. 56.5 cc. with a 16" bar. Big enough to handle anything that I'm interested in felling or bucking. Decent, but not "pro" construction. The best advice I ever received about buying a chainsaw were two questions - "Where's the nearest _good_ chainsaw dealer around your place?" and "What brand does he carry and work on?" That decided the big question for me and then the saw size and version was easy - how big are the trees you want to cut and how much money are you willing to shell out - in my case it was 10" - 20" (lots of Douglas Fir on our property) and not willing to spend the extra $'s for a pro saw just to let it sit in the shed for 300 days a year.

I've seen a lot of folks buy big honkin' chainsaws and never cut more than a sapling - buy the right tool for the job.

Dave

7. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

I agree with Cabin Fever. This is the order of what I have Stilh MS 260 C-B, MS 460 & MS 880. I do a lot of sawmilling with my saws. These three saws cost me over $2000+, but they have saved and made me thousands in return.

I bought the Stilh's because of the numerous service shops. Johsered and Husky's are good also. I would have got the large Husky if the dealer was closer.

Keep it well greased and oiled. Chainsaw sharpener is a must.

8. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I have a little 35cc Stihl but then again I like lightweight, dependable and modest priced things. :)

Kenneth