Chainsawing Logs

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by doc623, Jun 22, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any ideas how to secure a log 5'-6' long so that slabs/boards
    can be cut off length wise using a chain saw. Don't want to put it on the ground.
    Too big for a saw buck. Not hardly enough to take to a local saw mill and too good(wild black cherry) to cut up into firewood.
    Thanks in advance.

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I've done a HUGE maple before with a chainsaw. The log itself was sitting on the ground, and we cut the slabs parallel to the ground. Every few feet, we stopped to put shims in the area that we had already cut so the saw wouldn't bind.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

when i cut logs for log buildings, i put them on a cross log with a notch to get the out of the dirt.... you could do the same with a 2x4 or preferably a 4x4 to get a little higher.... then add wedges to keep it in place. >0< kinda sorta.

William

4. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

To get a log off the ground for milling; cut blocking from wood at least 4" thick, 10" works even better. Use two blocks about 3' long, they can be timbers or other logs. Don't use something that can damage the saw chain.

The blocks need to have a few cuts made with the chainsaw. First cut ramps on one end. These diagonal cuts are made gradual enough to roll the log up by hand. For example, if the blocks are 10" thick and 3' long, the ramps should be at least 16" long. Next, a saddle is made at the top of the ramp, about 6" - 10" from the end of the block. Using the chainsaw, make a notch about 4" wide and 2" deep to set the log in for milling (the log should sit without touching the bottom).

If the log is really heavy, a lever (or peavey) may be needed to roll it up the ramps. Once in place, the log will be stabile and off the ground.