Chainsaw question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Trisha-MN, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

I'll try to make this short since I did go back through the old posts first...
    We are going to purchase a new chain saw and I've been calling dealers.

Shindaiwa and Stihl are both available locally and serviced locally.
    Both are priced in the same range.

Johnsered is available but they are about 1 hour away for the dealer.

I'm leaning toward the Shindaiwa but wanted feedback since I didn't
    see that brand mentioned as much, but perhaps they aren't as
    available as Stihls?

Trisha-MN

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would suggest you go check to see what brands are listed in the after market items available at your local China Mart store, that is where I buymost anything conserning my chain saw. Its a Poland 1950 'wood shark', it has served me well by cutting two winters worth of fire wood in Virginia without any engine failure. I am on my 4th chain and first bar as of now, and the chain oiler did have to be replaced once. The good news? It was an 89 dollar loss leader!

I think its not the brand but the care and maintiance that makes a big differance. The dealers prices are very high while the after market ones are much less conserning replacement items.

3. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I found the best deal over the Internet ( a year are so ago) there were no taxes and the shipping was free so it came to $302.50 with a case. It was a Husqvarna model 350 with the 18” bar. It is about as much chainsaw as Robert thinks he can handle and he also liked the smart start feature and the adjustable oilier.
    www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A shin-what?? Sounds like a fishin reel! They may be fine but we're run Stihl here for almost 20 years and can highly recomend them. We are thinking about a smaller Husquvarna as we have some neighbors using them and highly recomending them.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross, if you do some thorough research and couple that with your past experience I am confident that you will remain with the Stihls.

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Stihl is probably the most popular chainsaw around and also the highest priced. I have never owned one for that reason. Husky comes in #2 and Jonsereds are right up there as well. If you are in a tossup between the Stihl and the Shindawai with local service available and the price is comparable I would buy the Stihl.
    I have a Poulan Pro 295 with a 20" bar and chain that I bought on E-bay and I have been very pleased with it. It was less than $150 with shipping and handling charges. I can't remember exactly. I don't make my living with a chainsaw so I decided I didn't need the Cadillac. It depends somewhat on what you are going to do with it and how much you are willing to spend. Who knows, some day I may wind up cutting with a Stihl and driving a Hummer.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I have a Sthil 031 that fell out of a truck at 55 mph and then I dug out of the trash. It cost 80$ to make it as good as new and that was 20+ years ago and I don't know how many truck loads of wood.

mikell

9. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

I agree with Mikell .My 031 has run for over 25 years.Yes it has been abused...Liked it so much bought another off ebay for 125.00.I will never have to buy another saw.They cut around 10 cords a year.....idontno

10. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Shindaiwa, sounds like something you say when it will not start. :haha: We have a Poulan or is it pullen, now that is what we do when we need to use it. We had a Stihl but the motor went, perhaps dh mixed the gas wrong. :no:

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I know three neighbors who are happy with husky and I'm going to borrow one ot see how they feel. I tried a Stihl O26 once and loved it and I have to see what they're asking for it new.

12. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Buy it from Sears, pay for the extra warranty, beat it to death, replace it as required ;)

13. Goose

Goose Migratory Waterfowl

You can't go wrong with Stihl.

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I own 2 Husky's, that said I will tell you to buy a Stihl. Husky now sells thru discount staores so you know where it goes from there!
    Buy a Stihl, buy a Stihl, buy a Stihl, oh yeah did I mention you should buy a Stihl!

15. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I own two Shindaiwas that I bought off Ebay last winter. They are an excellent top quality saw. I havent used a newer homeowner version of Stihl or Husky, but the older versions which didnt play that game of pro vs homeowner quality, were good saws. I really like my Shindaiwas just wee bit better (due to cheap price I got them at) though probably just say they are equivalent to good older Stihl/Husky/Sachs/Johnsered. I just dont trust companies that play homeowner vs pro version games.

By way Shindaiwa has excellent rep with professional maintenence/landscaper type people. Just not widely known by home consumers.

16. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

The one thing i pay the most attention to when buying a saw is how it feels in my hands! Stihl is tough but they are also the heaviest,cumbersome feeling things Ive felt.Also may be the slowest cutting? More of a low end grunt saw.

Not sure about the Shan.The only ones ive seen where old models.Ran good though!

Johnson Red would be my 1st choice (from the ones you listed).A friend of mine bought one a few years back (625 i think it was), it cut almost a fast as the bigger 394 Husky i was using.It felt great in hand and didnt wieght no more than they had to.

With that said i only own Huskys! (couldn't find a Johnson red to compare) I love the high RPM fast cutting of the huskys.Not sure where there going either sence Lowes sells them now.I can tell you im not real found of the stupid clutch in the new ones. :rolleyes:

All in all none of the above saws will let you down anytime soon.Pick one that fits your needs size wise and one that will be confrontable for long hrs of use. ;)
    I also like long bars that balance the saw best.Youll pay more for the chains and bars but they sure feel better once your used to them.

17. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Love my Husky! I've had it for ten years, go through two chains a year and have replaced the bar three times (normal wear). Zero mechanical problems and cuts like a beaver gone bezerk. Idiot brother backed over it with the bulldozer, replaced some plastic parts and kept cutting.

Gotta disagree with guy who recommended long bar, they are more prone to kickback, esp. in the hands of an inexperienced user. A 16" bar is adaquate for most folks.

18. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I know nothing of the Shindaiwa and it may be a very good saw, but Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonesred are all very good equipment.

Just don't buy the bottom of their respective lines.

My Stihl 290 Farm Boss has done very well by me, especially when I had to grab it on the run to use it in cutting up the tree that had fallen on my house during the height of Hurricane Jeanne. 50-60 mph sustained winds, gusts over seventy, raining so hard that I couldn't wear any sort of eye protection for not being able to see and it never even stuttered the whole time I was on the roof cutting the oak tree up.

There's a LOT of good info on the net about quality chainsaws so take your time and do your homework. Then buy from a local dealer who can provide good service.

You won't go wrong no matter what you pick then.

.....Alan.

19. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

I have a stihl 026 (called a 260 now). I have used it hard for about 8 years. It has a lot of power for its light weight. Twice it has needed a small new part. I have taken it to the local dealer and they put the part on for free. - Hayden Honda in Kendallville, if you are a Hoosier. A down side is you can't buy parts for a stihl over the internet or through the mail, only through a dealer. But I have gotten the purchase price back at least several times now.

20. Rattus Nigra

Rattus Nigra Guest

My very first saw was a Stihl 025C. I burned the housing because the dealer failed to explain how the chain break worked; actually, the dealer suggested to lock the chain for a couple of minutes during warmup. Shame on me. Later on I read the owner's manual very carefully and discovered that it made emphasis on locking the chain buy it did not dwell on the importance on unloacking it. Well, I paid another $150 and got my second brand new 025; that was in 1998. About a month ago (Oct. 2004) the saw did not want to stay on, and since now I do not trust the dealer I bought a repair manual for the saw and took it apart myself to clean it. To my surprise, the clutch had cut into the housing and part of the oil pump. I think Stihl is going the same way as John Deere - marketing of cheap stuff. I have a Shindaiwa trimmer fitted with a 14" carbide blade and it is one of the best pieces of equipment I ever had. I also hear good things about Husqvarna. If the Shindaiwa saws are built like my trimmer, I buy one in a heart bit. Stay away from Stihl and Deere !!!