chainsaw question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Columbia,SC., Apr 3, 2006.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I have a husky rancher, it has worked hard for me in the past but it is starting to cut to the left big time. I wonder if the bar is getting worn or is the chain getting worn? I sharpen them about 10 times with a jig before I have them sharpend at the shop (i rotate the two blades I have). I have been turning the bar over on every chain swap.
    I don't want to buy a new bar if I don't need it, any ideas?
    I thought about adding the extra strokes on the blade to help it cut to the right but this is a freshly sharpened blade from the shop. I will go back and try the other blade before I buy anything, just wondering if y'all have any ideas?
    Thanks, Columbia,SC.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A chain saw pulling to one side, despite bar reversal, can be a heavy hand dureing sharpening. You can reverse the bar but not the chain blades. the chain may be haveing too much material removed dureing sharpening, the jig may be out of alignament, the lube system may be clogged.

The chain lube system is usually located on the right side of the unit, located inboard of the bar, driven by an auger which is in contact with the output shaft of the engine, think 'rack and pinion' here. If the oil issueing ports are clogged there can be a heat and expansion issue in play. Next time you use it watch for oil distrubition on both sides of the chain blade, if they are equally wet then look to the sharpening methods.

As another and last possiability, check the chain drive gear, located behind the centrifical clutch; do the wear patterns show beveled contact? Wear marks not centered? How many wear rotations has this part made without attention or replacement? Check the drive contact teeth surfaces of the chain(s), are they 90 degrees across, in an equal wear pattern?

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

More than likely you have sharpened more to the left than the right. Try filing the chain, and when you file, take two strokes on the left teeth and three on the right teeth. This will usually bring it back into line.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree. If you can afford it, buy a new chain and see if it still cuts to the left. If not, then for sure it's the old chain. If, with the new chain installed, the saw still cuts to the left, well, then try becoming more conservative.

5. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

What about the bar itself?

Does it need a bit of filing to even out the flaring caused when the chain applies pressure to it (the bar) during cutting?

Just another thought...

6. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

sharpen it,the saw,before you get to the point where you apply pressure to make it cut....a chainsaw is designed to cut without downward pressure...period.

7. Columbia,SC.

if I am looking at the nose of the saw when sharpening and it is cutting to the left,, which teeth do I add strokes to this one / or this one \ , sorry that is the only way I know to descibe them. \ this one I think?
    Wow I never thought about descibing that before and do not know how to.
    Right hand files or Left hand files looking at the nose of the saw with the handle far away from me.
    I have to add bar oil on every gas fill, it never runs out but it is alway low. I have a scerw I can turn to use more oil, I will try that also. I want the gas to run out before the lube though. It's a tight rope walk hahaha.
    If I run the saw close to the ground or on top of a stump as a test, it throws oil pretty well.
    I have noticed that on the side cuts the bar does heat up when the chain seems to leave the bar with a mind of its own. NOT jumping off but just going around and not cutting.
    Thanks for the help, Columbia,SC.

8. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

The four major causes of cutting crooked are:
    1- Wrong chain size for the guide bar.
    2- Poor chain sharpening and maintenance.
    3- Uneven or worn guide bar or chain groove.
    4- Right side cutters filed differerntly than the left ones or vise versa.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If the saw is cutting to the left, sharpen the teeth that are on the right.

10. Columbia,SC.

Thanks everybody I did not get to work with it today, truck troubles. Everything I have is worn out! hahaha
    Columbia,SC.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ditto what Cabin Fever stated!