Chainsaw Pull Cord is Stuck

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Tango, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

There are no shops around here to take it to so I might just buy a new one to save me two round trips that will take several hours and a tank of gas (plus the bill). The manual doesn't cover pull cord problems. Any solutions ya'll can think of?

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

take the cover off, and unwind it. only way it can be done likely

3. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

Couple of questions:
    What kind of saw?
    Is the rope stuck out or in?

Had a Homelite one time that stuck when pulled out and only needed a bit of WD-40 sprayed on the two ratcheting dogs on the back of the spindle that the rope winds into. Sprayed them and took a screwdriver and bumped them a time or two and they broke free and it retracted fine after that.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It is a McCulloch and the cord is stuck inside. I can probably take the cover off in the daylight- looks like there are many screw holes all around it. Thanks. I'll let you know.

5. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Try to move the fly wheel.
    If it will not move the motor is lock up.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Does that saw have a blade lock that is activated by the top handle? If so, the handle has tripped to the locked position.

7. GW

GW Member

Chainsaws have a centrifugal (sp) clutch. The chain break (blade lock) snaps on around the outer drum of the clutch stopping the chain, not the engine. Certified loggers are supposed to start saws with the brake on. Maybe on some saws the brake would stop the engine ... I just never seen one.

The problem could be sawdust accumulation, recoil spring is broke and binding, starter rope may have jumped out of pulley and bound up. I see you're in FL so it probably didn't get water in it and froze. That happens to me quite often.
    Let us know what ya find.

Greg W

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

WooHoo! Chalk one up to you guys. Thank you. I removed the pull cord cover and it wasn't the pullcord. It spun freely off the assembly. The assembly itself wasn't moving (is that the flywheel?) I used a wratchet and some WD40 to get it moving and the chainsaw started right up when I put it back together. You've saved me a bunch of money and hassle and I've never taken a cover off of anything :D

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................We All Knew you could fix that Mo'scheen , you just had to prove it too yourself ! Time to open that bottle of Tequila and have a jigger or two with some limes and salt . fordy.. :eek: :)

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Here's to you :)