Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Husky 41, that I got for free from someone because they couldn't get it running. I was able to get it running pretty easily, just needed cleaned and a new pulley to start it. Then I got it out in the woods cut up a fallen tree, however the chain would slow way down and the engine would still be revving normally. I figured the bar was bad so I got a new 18" bar and chain, same problem while running into wood. So my next step was to change the clutch, and did so uneventfully, went out to cut up a limb and same problem, slowing way down with the engine running high. I am at a loss, and have too much invested to just throw it away, and would rather not take it to a shop. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ditch

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you replace the whole clutch assembly (3 clutches, springs & spider that theads onto the crank shaft) or did you just change the drum that fits over the clutch?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the clutches are good, might be a worn out sprocket/rim depending on which one your saw has. I've seen this happen from the result of a cracked spider, but if you replaced the whole clutch assembly, that shouldn't be the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, after reading some replies, I went and took the saw apart even more and found what I believe to be the problem. The sprocket had a perfectly round groove in the middle where the chain lines up with the bar, I didn't notice it before because it was so perfectly machined it looked as if it belonged. I have one on order, should have in a few days.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I had the same thing happen with one of our saws. Ran good and all of a sudden it wouldn't cut. The engine ran and the chain would stop when in contact with wood. Sprocket came loose where it fits in the clutch drum. Hope you get it fixed. Sam

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
ditch, same problem on another brand of saw. The problem was never solved, I bought an entire clutch assemble replaced it and the problem still remained. I could grap the chain-less clutch assembly with a gloved hand and stop the assembly and still rev up the engine. Talk about driving me crazy....I think you know what I mean...good luck...Topside

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Is the oiler working on your saw? The chain will bog down if it is not lubricated adequately.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oiler is working very well, chain is lubed pretty good.
I got the sprocket ordered today, cost about $7 at the farm store.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
Get the cover off, bolt the bar on without the cover. You may need to use a few flat washers. Now, when you cut wood, you can see what the clutch drum is doing. If it is slowing down, while the engine revs up, you know it is a clutch problem. If the clutch drum continues its fast spin and the chain slows, you know it is the sprocket

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to get the clutch drum off because you have no way to hold the engine from turning over.

To solve this, remove the spark plug and stuff as much nylon rope down the spark plug hole as you can. Now, when the engine turns, the piston shoves up against the nylon and you can spin the clutch drum off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts