Chainsaw Mills?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MikeJoel, Mar 12, 2005.

1. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has any experience with chainsaw mills. The kind that has rails for the saw to slide on (not the kind that screw to a saw without any railings).

If so can you give me information. We have plans for one and I was wondering what people's experience with them are. I personally wanted to make a "buzz" saw.

Mike

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I don't own one, but I looked at the Logosol at a trade show a couple of years ago. In fact the rep even let me run it for a little bit. I really liked how it sawed. They're a little slow for commercial sawing but for personal cutting they're a good, inexpensive option.

3. Kadiddylak

Kadiddylak Member

Mike
    There is a website called Arboristsite .com ,they have several companies that advertise them on there .Might give you some ideas.
    As far as experience i have none but ive seen one work that was a bandsaw type. It worked very well and the guy was sawing telephone poles to make stables with . I think the advantage to the bandsaw type is the blade hits nails and such and is easy to repair.
    I also have seen several come up on ebay if your looking to buy one. i think the smaller ones start out around $2500 but with a little design and some labor i dont see why you couldnt build one if you had the skills and access to a welder.

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I've used 2 different types of chainsaw mills. The first was an Alaskan sawmill type of mill. I powered it with a Husqvarna 394, and had the chain filed correctly. It was a painfully slow operation. To saw enough logs or lumber to build a house you'll need to start today if you want to get finished before the next presidential election. Hard work. Slow. And to top it off, the finished product isn't really all that great.

The other type was somewhat more of a commercial setup. I used to operate it when I worked building log homes. We used it primarily to cut log rafters & floor joists. It operated on a track. A Stihl 044 powered the mill. It was pretty much a 2 person operation. Very slow. I recall you could cut maybe a 35 foot floor joist and the gas tank would be empty.

IMHO, chainsaw mills are a horrendous waste of time & effort. Without question, they are not economically feasible.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

I disagree with hoop in this instance, as they are economically feasable, but trying to run them with underpowered chainsaws will take forever, you need at least 5 HP, and a correctly filed chain to do this work, with out either you will struggle. I use a souped up stihl 066 and it rips through anything quick.
    The real problem with home sawed lumber is the patience required to dry it if you cant get it kiln dried. It can take a year to three years to dry lumber so that it wont shrink when used. Depending on your needs, there are several models out there, I would check ebay, and if at all possible get the ones that use a 2 x 6 for a guid not a 2x4. Most of the models out there are reasonably price under $200, but if you are going to use the lumber for selling invest in a real portable saw mill.

_Neal