chainsaw limb pruners

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by charles, Aug 18, 2004.

1. charles

charles Well-Known Member

I've got a lot of high up oal limbs to cut of trunks and want to get either a Stihl or like limb pruner or a cheapo electric chainsaw pruner from Home Depot. The Stihl will run at least $500 whereas the H.D. electric will run $100. The H.D electic, and some Stihl-likes don't have a bar that can be put at an angle from the pole (aids in keeping the saw up on the lime I guess). This is a front-of-house job on about 10 big oaks and a couple of sweetgums. Some of the limbs are probably 5 inches at the base.

Anyway, anybody use either of the above. Please comment on the bar angle necessity.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I can't answer your question exactly, but don't overlook the Echo limb trimmer. I've had one for several years. It's a lot cheaper than the "Chainsaw-type" limbers. It has a reciprocating "swede saw" at the end of it...kinda like a pole mounted Sawzall, it you know what I mean. It's lighter in weight and will saw a 4" limb in seconds. The pole is about 9 feet or so long and it uses a decent 26 cc two-stroke engine.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd get a ladder tall as the limbs you want cut, and a Recipricle saw (Sawsall is abrand of these) and saw them off. Both the saw and ladder would have numerous other uses. The saw could be used to cut up the limbs after they are on the ground. And no gas engine to start or chain to sharpen.