Chainsaw coil failure

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Oct 28, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its a Poulan woodshark, model 1950, the spark does not happen, I changed the plug, cleaned all the sensor and magnet surfaces, still no spark, any way to cure it other than buying a new pick up coil? Any meter readings that I should know about?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Don't know of any specific reading values, but I'd be tempted to take a voltage reading with the red lead in the spark plug boot and the black lead on ground. Give the rope a pull and see if there is the voltage produced. If it's weak or non-existant, it's time for a new coil.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

For whatever reason anymore small engines not only use an electronic chip to trigger coil, but they mold it into dang coil assembly with epoxy resin.

Most likely you dont need the whole coil at $50+, just the chip. Well there are still available if you search for the little chips meant to convert old point systems on one cylinder engines. They work for that but also work on electronic systems if you take the grounding wire from coil to switch and splice in one of these little chips. Have to find good place to mount it, preferably inside starter housing. I havent looked for these in few years now, but last time I think I paid like $10 a piece from Northern Hydraulics and bought few extra to make the shipping worth it.

Well just looked on their website and dont seem to have what I bought though they do have the B/S ignition chip to retrofit B/S engines for $15. It might be adaptable though I liked universal chip I bought better. Lot of small engine places on internet, sure one of them has it or something like it.